decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, November 12, 2020

And Along Came Eta

So just when we thought we might be officially heading into autumn, along comes Hurricane Eta. It was not one I was worried about until I heard everyone else talking about how it had turned and was expected to run up the western coast of Florida and then turn in right about at central Florida...where I live.

After listening to the experts, I decided that just some minor preparation was in order. My normal hurricane prep takes a very long time because it involves moving any potential flying object in my yard and, as you can probably guess, there are many! I rolled down my two pool umbrellas and took down hanging bird feeders that were near windows...and that was about it.

When I woke up this morning, I was wondering if it might still be on its way because nothing looked different but, apparently it limped through during the night. Either it wasn't bad at all or I just slept through it. I had a few dead branches down on my side yard and that is about it. But, today is still a bit gloomy so I needed to find some things to keep me occupied.

Thing number one was to use up the last wooden tag that I had cut. Since it was ready to go, I decided on a very simple Thanksgiving tag that didn't require many supplies at all...just the usual suspects.

First I gave the tag a coat of the antiquing gel...

...followed by a dry brushed coat of the orange and a few pops of white. My goal was to have it look like it had layers of old paint.

I used a black paint pen to write the word after I sketched it out with pencil. The wood had more grain than I thought and the tip of the pen caught in it a bit so I wasn't exactly on my lines. Luckily, an eraser made quick work of that.

And this is where it ended up...and I think it adds just the perfect finishing touch!


And since it is still so gloomy, I decided to make my favorite Martha Stewart soup-Vegetable Vermicelli. I make this soup at least several times every autumn and I never tire of it...which is a really good thing now as it makes a huge pot of soup so I will be eating it for the better part of the week. Lol

Even just the ingredients are so pretty and it makes a super colorful soup as well.


I just looked out the window and the sun is actually out so I guess I am off to pick up some branches. I'll be back with some more of my autumn tour and a sneak peek at some more goodies I have started collecting for this year's Christmas decor very soon. Stay safe and stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment