decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, January 28, 2019

Such a Fun Tradition

One of our traditions that we really look forward to every year is our annual trip to Oak Haven Strawberry Farm in Sorrento.


This year we got there at the start of the season and the berries were huge and plentiful!


This farm is so well maintained. The rows are well defined and the walking areas are clear and flat. And since the plants are in raised beds and under the black plastic, seeing and picking the berries is so easy.


Sometimes the boys join us but sometimes they are tied up with sports...as was the case this weekend. The only never changing variable is that Presley's best friend must be able to join us! These girls love tradition as much as I do.






After the farm, we always head in to Eustis for lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant. We usually sit outside but this weekend it was just a tad too chilly. Never-the-less, the girls wouldn't let us leave without a few crazy shots.



It is a nice walk through town to the water front. The girls got double scoop ice cream cones-yep, too cold to sit outside but never too cold for ice cream-and then they played at one of the parks for a long time while my daughter and I got to sit and catch up.


The berries were so tempting that I now have this on my counter...


...which, of course, prompted this-a strawberry pound cake. It was the only recipe I could find that I could make with things I already had in my frig and pantry. It was a cold, rainy day and I wasn't about to head out anywhere!



I will admit it is not the best cake I have ever eaten but, in its defense, the recipe did call for buttermilk and, since that is not something that is always in my frig, I used some old "instant buttermilk powder" that I had in the pantry. Since it had kind of clumped into one big mound and I had to scrap off shavings to even use it, the end result may have been tainted just a bit. Lol At least it put a small dent in the amount of fresh berries I have. I would share with my only daughter that lives here in town but she is the one I went with and she, too, has a boat load of berries-if only they hadn't looked so tempting! Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment