decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, February 12, 2018

Love This Weekend!

What a fabulous, full, fun weekend we had!! We usually try to start with pictures and it almost always goes from semi-normal to craziness in a flash...and this year was no exception!









We actually got started on baking before the pictures while we were waiting for Harrison. He was off with his dad at Math Counts earning some volunteer hours. Because we were getting such a late start this year, things were going to be quite simplified from past years but, the kids like making two kinds of cookies, so we got going on them.

 


Yum! Our famous "pink" chocolate chip cookies and chocolate short bread with M&Ms.


Once Harrison arrived and we got our pictures done, we headed outside to start our craft/gift project this year. I think the shabby chic/farmhouse wooden hearts will fit in everybody's decor! This is a MANY step project so we got done what we could right before it began to turn dark.


Then we went in to make dinner. Again, we went with something much simpler than usual but I knew time would be tight...and it was just as yummy even if not everything was heart shaped or red. Lol We made pizza with heart pepperoni, broccoli and salad.



Then we had the delicious cookies and pink ice cream for dessert. Before bed, we had time to get in a few games of Valentine Minute-to-Win-It, Valentine Head Bandz and Heart to Heart - which is a play on Apples to Apples. Anyone who has ever played this game knows just how funny some of the answers can be. We laughed so much...so much so that I even forgot to take any pictures!


Sunday was going to be a full and active day so we started with heart shaped "Toad in the Holes", bacon and cupid's fruit arrows. I actually enjoyed making those "Toad in the Holes' even though I started out not quite sure what I was doing. I used my electric grill to toast both sides of the bread in butter (after cutting out the heart) and then carefully broke the egg into the opening. When it was almost set, I gently flipped it over for a few more seconds and then flipped it back to serve. None of the yolks broke prematurely nor were they over cooked. Since I'm a tried and true scrambled egg kind of girl, this was pretty much a miracle!! I don't think it hurt that I actually thought ahead and bought an extra large, thick sliced loaf of bread. Making these on a traditional slice of bread may have been more of a challenge!

 
After breakfast, it was back to the craft projects. There was still lots left to do. 







These projects definitely took some time but that is what the kids like these days. They were really proud of themselves when they were done. Each one was a little different and they all turned out beautifully!



Then, we were off to the field behind my house. Several times a year, we get back there (with permission from the owner of those wooded 17 acres) to cut back and vines, trees or weeds that may be beginning to encroach near my fence. Believe me, once those vines get a foot hold, life gets interesting. Since we have 308' across the back of our property, it takes a bit of constant patrolling to stay ahead of the game. The kids know the drill and they love all things that involve cutting and chopping implements so they are crazy gung-ho...even Presley who is so petite! This kid is brawny and strong. I don't think she's ever met anything she can't cut down with my loppers. And, this time around, the gang was finally able to pull down some vines that were WAY up into my huge, old oak trees and thicker around than my arm. They cut them where they grew out of the ground almost a year ago but it has taken this long for them to die enough to finally pull them down out of those trees. Towanda!!

I always enjoy these holiday weekends with the grand kids. Hard to believe that yet another is in the record books. I'm' going to get out into the yard today and then on Thursday I will be taking down all things red and moving on to St. Patrick's Day! Of course, I will celebrate Valentine's Day in between there. Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment