decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Begosh and Begorrah!

It is a fine day indeed! At least I think that is kind of how "begosh and begorrah" translates. The sun is dappling into the kitchen through the sun room windows (although there would probably be many more rays if I would get out there and wash those windows after the mess from the hurricane and this year's heavy pollen inundation!) and it is a cheerful place to be. Wish I had some lovely concoction to be cooking but I will have to settle for a scrambled egg breakfast and get on with my day. Before I head off to projects yet to be determined, let's get a look at this year's kitchen decor.



I love keeping this old, handmade carry tote on my counter. It kind of serves as a "baker's rack" for small items. I definitely find that if keep all of these things easily at hand, I am much more apt to use them often. And, after all, why would one buy a leprechaun plate or shamrock coasters and straws if not to use them? Lol Looks like I have an empty cubby there...maybe I need to go shopping.



My brain is working hard to come up with this year's St. Pat's weekend with the kids. Seems that when we would normally do it, this group will be skiing in Utah on their spring break. Since Presley has asked me about their visit and their favorite - the leprechaun clue scavenger hunt - already, I have to see how we can make this happen! The weekends in March are already full so it might take some creative planning on my part.



I am not using many of my "free" downloaded printable art any more but I am a sucker for those Irish sayings and blessings and just can't seem to get enough of them!  If you're observant, you saw a few in the living room and you will see more to come.







These simple plates are still one of my favorite kid friendly crafts. This one uses napkins but we have done them with printed tissue paper as well. The design just gets put on the back of the plate with Mod Podge and then I usually give them a shot of clear coat after they have dried just to make them a bit more durable. Somehow, no matter how wrinkly the papers go on, they can be smoothed a bit and dry just beautifully. Our favorite way to present them was with the plate full of some yummy holiday treats. The front is food fine and then just use a damp cloth to clean off any crumbs.



Here are some pictures from the last time we made these plates in 2016.





I found this silly little leprechaun candle holder on sale at Michaels a few years back. It makes me smile when I look at those faces so it continues to "make the cut" every year. As I said, I am trying to simplify my decor a bit, but if something makes me happy, it will always have a place in my home...and my heart! It's the little things!


I love this Irish blessing that Becky did in counted cross stitch for a middle school project in 1985! I'm sure some day she is going to want it back but I put it out every year and just keep my fingers crossed...


So that's it for the kitchen this year. We have a few busy weekends coming up so I know all of this holiday loveliness will get much use. Can't wait. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment