decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, July 6, 2013

A Few Last Thoughts

I know. I should be spending today putting away my 4th of July decorations now that the day is over. But, hubby and I have been invited to daughter #3's house for lunch, so I don't want to start a large project-and, taking down one holiday or season and putting up the next is ALWAYS a large project for me! As I have posted before, I have things stored in bins in the garage, in bins in the FR closet, in bins in all other closets and cabinets in the house and even under beds and on top of armoires. Sometimes I have to write myself a note for next year when I put something in a new hiding spot. One would think that going from the 4th of July to late summer would not be difficult but I now have 5 large 4th of July Rubbermaid containers and many, many red, white or blue vases, olive jars, candleholders, etc. as well as soooo many things in my "summer" colors that I will probably need at least 2, if not 3, uninterrupted days to get it all done. I will be pulling out everything "citrus" colored as well as all of my reds. So many of the colors of autumn but trying to keep them summery by featuring oranges, lemons and limes in some rooms and lots of sunflowers in others. I like to keep to the "hot" colors of summer instead of the "oceany" blues and shells. I grew up in south Florida and had more than my share of "beach look" down there.

In any case, a few more odds and ends of the 4th.


I did manage to get a number of these candles put together before everyone started to arrive. I didn't have Mason jars large enough, so I just grabbed some empty candles jars (I always have tons of these around because I save them for just such a quick project. I can't tell you the number of things my grand children and I have made from these empty candles jars or just plain old jars), some small flags that I bought bags and bags of last years at the Target $ Spot, and some twine. If I had had more time, I would have tea dyed the flags-probably still will before I use them next year-but they were just going to get spread around outdoors for the party, so I think they looked fine as is.


My youngest grandchildren love to make me gifts and they know how much I love my photos, so a frame is always in order. Each one made their own work of art-definitely got some budding Picassos in this group don't you think? If you are observant, you will see that Harrison forgot we were now in 2013! Jen told me to change it, but I love it just the way it is-and, there is more of a story to tell when he grows up and comes back to visit his old Nana and Papa!


The fireworks are still going off around here-guess everyone bought too many or they're just like me and milking the holiday-so I will say "Happy Birthday America" one more time and then we will move along. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment