decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, September 16, 2024

Too Soon Gone!

 Am I the only one who thinks the weekends just go way too quickly? It seems as if I was just reveling in Fri-YAY and here it is Monday...and the weekend is over! I hope you had a good one. Mine was meant to be uneventful but that isn't how things ever stay around here.

Saturday was rainy and dreary so I started this ridiculously easy craft which I will share in a minute because I knew my grandson's college football game would be on at noon and I needed to be ready...and I was just not quite ready for another total nail biter and finally a "WIN" in overtime once again. I told him last week that his Nana was getting too old for that kind of a game and he assured me this week would be different. They were playing the team that they beat by 69 points last year. I guess that team remembered that game and was just NOT going to let that happen again. They came out full steam and it truly wasn't over until the absolute last play in overtime! Go Bears!!!

The rains had settled by the time the game was over but it was like a sauna outside so I decided to call it a day...until my phone rang and it was grandson #2 asking if he could come over and do some fence repairs for me. Since what was left was pretty much things I couldn't do alone, the answer was easy. And so, out we went. And, while he was doing things that didn't need a second hand, I was pulling vines out of the fence growing in from the back field and picking up small branches that came down with our recent rains.

He got so much done for me but we called it a day as the next few things will need some supplies and it was too late to hit the store on a Saturday night.

All seemed right with the world until I woke up at about 2 a.m. with my fingers itching and I immediately knew what that meant. Somewhere out there I had once a again come into contact with whatever it is the I am allergic to. I know it wasn't poison ivy this time as there was none of that but one of the vines did have some scratchy kind of leaves so I figured that must be it, put some anti-itch cream on it and went back to bed.

Yesterday it was still itchy but doing my best to ignore it, I headed out to the yard on the other side of the pool to do some trimming and weeding. It was SO HOT out there and I kept wiping my face with a towel...until I realized that my cheek near my nose was itchy. For some reason, bells didn't go off. I just thought it was because I was perspiring so much. Imagine my surprise when I got up this morning and found that my nose and cheek-right up to my eye-were now all bumpy and blistery as well and I am scary looking-well, scarier looking than usual. I am having the worst time NOT rubbing my face but I am trying so hard because I really don't want whatever this is to get into my eye. Hence, once again my errands are not happening so I finished my little craft and thought I would show you.

This is the Mason jar I picked up at $Tree. I don't have all that much Thanksgiving decor so I thought this might look cute with a make-over and nestled in the carpenter's box or somewhere else in the kitchen.

I've taken things like this apart before and I usually have to use the hot tip of the glue gun to snap the metal and cords but this time it all literally just "fell" off.

Then I peeled off the image and gave it a light sanding.


 

I used the water method and ripped down the image to fit the jar.


Then I gave the jar and the metal leaf a quick coat of Waverly antique wax. When that was dry I ModPodged on the image. I also gave the "jar lid" a light coating of ModPodge sprinkled with cinnamon and when that was dry a quick shot of matte sealer to keep the cinnamon in place.


At this point I forgot to take any more pictures but I snipped some foliage off of things around the house and glued that onto the jar. Then I took some red, yellow and orange paint and just kind of "blobbed" them onto the leaf. When the paint was dry I came back with a bit of antique wax and then a top coat of ModPodge before adding the leaf to the jar and then tying it all up with some new twine.


And here it is...almost too easy to share but cute never-the-less.


Not sure what the rest of the day holds. I am out of ideas for my next craft so I guess I'll be hitting up Pinterest before too long. Stay safe and stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment