decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Trial and Error

It is another beautiful day outside and the puppers and I did get a bit done before my yard guy (who NEVER comes on Tuesday) showed up followed soon after by the pool guy-who is always here on Tuesday. That meant that gates would be open and the dogs would probably not take well to these strangers-to them-appearing in "their" yard. And so, the outside work was done for the day. I did have a list of some indoor things and they're are being done as we speak but, I saw an idea in a magazine and decided to give it a try as well. And, it worked out perfectly because the drying time on this thing is insane-hence lots of free time in between to get other things done.

 It is no secret how much I love old urns and olive jars...or any pottery that looks European. Most of the nice ones are expensive and just something I have a hard time justifying these days because I already have so many but, I am always keeping an eye out for a good knock-off to buy...or, as in this case, to make.

The instructions say to use a mixture of paint and baking soda. I have never tried this method but, since I did have everything I needed on hand, I thought I would give it a try.

I have a pretty large supply of glass vases but, unfortunately, most of them are straight sided or VERY vase-like shaped. As soon as I started, I realized that I would have liked the outcome better if I could have started with something shaped more like an olive jar but, I ventured on as I wasn't going to head out in search of such a piece of glass. But, now that I am trying this, I may be on the look-out.

The proportions are 2 parts paint to 1 part baking soda unless you feel it needs more texture. It quickly became apparent that my mixture had very little texture but I went ahead and put on one full coat because it was adhering so well and I figured it would give the next coat some "tooth".

I added more baking soda and got this "drippy" effect.

That wasn't what I wanted either so I went full steam ahead and mixed up something that almost had to be slathered on. It was at this point that I could see some "stone" texture and also when I wondered if I might actually be able to change the shape of the vase a bit by layering on many, many more layers in the middle of the vase so that it kind of loses its hour glass figure. Of course, the worst part of this is the waiting for one layer to dry before you can add another and, of course, the thicker the mixture
you're spreading, the longer it will take to dry. The directions did say you could dry the layers with a heat gun, but I am finding that that isn't really speeding the process up all that much. But, I am happier with the overall look at this point, so we wait!

I'm guessing by the time I get this done I will have used a LOT of paint and baking soda---not to mention my time...but, if it gives me the look I'm going for, it will be worth it.

I'm off to change A/C filters, do another load of wash and empty the DW while I wait but, I'll be back.

It is now about 11 A.M. of the next day. Before I stopped yesterday, I went back and added a pretty thick layer of spackling compound to fill out more of the vase shape. I also wanted to round off that indent on the bottom. I think I had it in my head that maybe I could still accomplish the shape I wanted with the paint, baking soda and spackling mixtures. You can kind of see where I put that in this picture because it doesn't have the sanded look.

My thought was to then start again with the paint and baking soda-which I did and is where I am right now. I mixed it up pretty thick and this is where I kind of lost not only my patience but any excitement I may have had to see how this craft would transpire. I put this stuff on so thick and then immediately hit it with heat. The top layer did dry but the underneath created a kind of "paint blister". I am pretty much over it at this point. I think I will let this dry, give it one more paint coat mixed to the original proportions and finish it up.

My OCD self just didn't like the shape of the vase from the minute I started and I should have called it quits a long time ago but, since I'm pretty much stuck at home and looking for things to do that I can accomplish with 2 dogs wrapped around my legs, I pushed ahead.

The funny thing is that I just about have this vase looking straight sided now. I wonder if I had started with the straight sided vases I have  if I could have formed the shape I want? I chose the one I did because it had the indentations but soon realized that since they weren't vertical, they looked nothing like what I was going for. And so, once again, I wait!

I will say that if all of this stuff doesn't just slide off of the original vase, I will have a vase that weighs as much, if not more, than the stone vase I am going for. Lol
 

OK...I am DONE! Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. And, this one is definitely a loser. Quite honestly, if I hadn't already written so much of this blog before I got to this point, this would be in the garbage. I have painted and painted and I just can't get it to look the way I want-although, when I look at my inspiration picture, it is very similar. I think it goes back to the shape of the darn vase but, as they say, it is what it is!


 I gave it a quick spray with a clear matte sealer and basically stuck these flowers into it...no arranging because they won't be staying. I truly have no idea where-or even if-this will be used but I'm sure you will spot it if it finds a home. Lol

So that is it for today...of course I have a huge mess still to clean up but I don't think I have ever been happier to put away a craft! I'm glad I tried it but it is definitely not for me...once was more than enough! Lol

Stay safe and stay tuned.
 




 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment