decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, October 16, 2023

Another One for the Memory Books

 


 What a special day I had yesterday! While it was quite different from all of the years past when all of the grandchildren would be here for the holiday weekend for fun at Nana and Papa's house, yesterday started out with just Presley and me. I went over to her house and we did a bit of menu planning. Since, at this point, we thought it would just be the two of us, we went pretty simple. After shopping we picked up Hazel (a Golden) and headed to my house. Of course, since this was pretty extemporaneous, I hadn't even thought of a craft idea but, since we were going to make some simple cookies for dessert, we fell back to our old stand-by, the napkin decoupaged plate. This child has done this so many times she could probably do it in her sleep. lol

Then ,we were off to make the cookies. In reading the recipe before hand, we failed to see that the dough needed to go into the fridge for at least two hours-and more would be better-before cutting. We didn't have the luxury of that much time so we decided to put it in the freezer for a bit-what harm could that do? I seem to never remember that baking is a science and NOT to be messed with. The cutting of the cookies went well but the baking part just did not. We couldn't seem to get them baked all of the way no matter how long they were in the oven. They came out very cute but ended up tasting like Play-Doh. I did highlight that part of the recipe in the RARE instance that we would want to make these again. Lol!!


Somewhere along the way, we found out that dad and brother would be back from their out-of-town lacrosse tournament in time to join us for dinner (my daughter is in NC at the High Point furniture mart so we were missing her and Har who is off at college in CT) so we got busy on that. Again, since we thought it would just be the two of us, we went pretty simple but thankfully I had planned enough for left-overs to send to the boys so we were good. We made "eyeball" spaghetti, mummy garlic bread and Halloween salad. It actually all turned out delicious!



We decided that Hazel had to get into the picture taking fun. She was actually a good sport about wearing that little witch hat. She even gave me lots of kisses to prove that there were no hard feelings. Lol



I have to remind myself that Halloween is still more than two weeks away so there are lots of fun things still to come but for now, Halloween at home is pretty much done. I will be spending the rest of the week getting all of my "witchy" outfits ready and the house all caught up so I can head out of town. I'll be back at least once before I leave so I can finish our tour. Stay safe and stay tuned.
 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment