decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, August 2, 2023

The "BOO" Continues

 I still have my furry friend here with me as I continue to give my daughter and her family some time to try to catch up to the five days they lost out of their very busy lives. They weren't really lost in the sense of "lost" as they got to spend the time with grandson #1 but, when you run a very busy business and have two children you need to get ready for their next school year, five days becomes a lot of time to make up. And so, that works in my best interest because Hazel gets to stay here with me one more day!

Of course, it is still hot, muggy and stormy so I continue to look for things to do inside. I was scrolling some site the other day and came upon a Halloween book. Score and score! I can always use another Halloween decor item and, I have everything needed to get going on this craft right away. And so...


I grabbed the faux $Tree tile because the inspiration I saw used Anaglypta paper as a texture on the cover of the book and I liked the way it looked. Unfortunately, I don't have any and for the price of a roll of that stuff, it was definitely not worth running out to get for this one project. I had hoped I could substitute the tile but, after looking at it, I thought the design was actually too large for the size of the book so I looked for other textures I could use. I thought maybe decoupaging a bit of cheese cloth on would be good and that was my next choice until I got out my Halloween box and came across the embossed bat paper and found a winner.


I was tying to keep this book dark and moody ans so, as much as I love orange and black, it had to go. I painted over it with black chalk paint and then quickly wiped much of it off. And this is where I stopped on Day 1.


Day 2.  There was even a bit too much orange still showing through but I had much more "grunging" in store for this project so I was good with that. I cut the paper and used spray adhesive to attach it to the book.

Next I used water to "ruffle" the edges of my image and then decoupaged it on to the cover. I went around the edges with black paint and then "grunged" with a bit of Waverly antique wax and ModPodge with cinnamon. Even though I loved the bat paper, I really wanted the book to look old and rusty and grungy.


This is what the cover looks like with the wet ModPodge, cinnamon and then more ModPodge dabbed on top. After this dries a lot of the cinnamon will brush off.

I thought of adding a bow or just ribbon or some other embellishment but, again, I just wanted it simple and grungy. I found some metal corners I had in my stash and rusted them up a bit and then hit them with some copper. I also dragged a small bit of copper over areas on the cover and, I think I am done.

For now, I like it. When I am actually decorating for Halloween and see where this will land, I may add something but for now...

My son-in-law just came by for a nice visit and to catch me up on their trip. Both he and Hazel are now gone so, once I get this post published, I'm off to see if I can't get a few small things off of the list before the rains come. Tomorrow I hope to finally get to HL so we'll see how things end up. I'll be back. Stay safe and stay tuned.








No comments:

Post a Comment