decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, August 31, 2023

Change of Plans!

 When last I posted, I told you I wouldn't be back until after my trip to Connecticut. Unfortunately, Mother Nature had other plans for me and so, here I am! I live in Florida and much to our surprise, we got a visit from Hurricane Idalia. For awhile, things for our area looked pretty bleak but, as you learn if you have grown up with hurricanes, it's not over til it's over-nor can you ever truly predict where it will go and what will happen until it does it!

My hometown actually just hit on the edge of the rougher bands of storm. We did get a lot of rain and a lot of wind gusts but nowhere near what was expected. We did have a scary moment when they thought a tornado was spotted and sent out all sorts of warnings with all of the bells and whistles to make it impossible to ignore. I have lived with tornado watches most of my life but this is the first time I've had the alerts for a warning-even though we did have a tornado rip through town about a year ago. The alerts are scary but I will say it is comforting to know that we have that kind of emergency system in place and working!

Of course, with the predictions we had and with the coastal cities getting much more damage than we did inland, airports were closed and flights were cancelled...and so, sadly, we decided not to re-book since we didn't know what clean-up would be like across the state. And so, instead of waking up in Mystic, CT I am home and just in from putting back everything I moved to be safe from the wind. In this case, most of it was probably not necessary-except the pool umbrellas that do seem to take flight in any kind of gusty weather-and all of the hanging bird feeder that are so close to the sunroom windows. I have now picked up 4 cans of twigs, branches and ACORNS from the yard but, compared to past storms, that is really nothing! And, I think every dead leaf from the vines that were cut from the back field that went up into my huge trees has now come down. I still have that to clean up but, it's actually better that they all came down at once instead of the several hundred that were falling each day and demanding constant clean-up. And so, today's clean-up will just make the next few month's clean-up easier as, eventually, all of that stuff will be coming down anyway!

Since I'm taking a bit of a rest, why don't I finish our tour. I'm going to show you last year's porch as that is exactly what this year's looks like minus the mums. There's been a bit too much going on around here to think about heading out to look for flowers. Lol And then we have the bathrooms. Let's go.




As I look at these pictures I think I am starting to feel as if the "welcome" sign and the flag might be in need of a repaint. They're not the simple designs that the flag and signs usually are so we'll see if I get brave enough to try that!?

The guest bath is ready for company.





And maybe because autumn is my favorite season there is a bit more decor in the master bath as well.



I'm heading back out to see if I can't finish up my clean-up job. Not sure where the next few days will take me, but I'll be back. Until then, stay safe and stay tuned. Oh yes, before I forget. I've told the story of how my oldest grand daughter developed this blog for me as a Christmas gift a number of years ago and how, although I was definitely touched that she would go to that much trouble for me, I was pretty sure I would never post anything. Well, fast forward to today where a blog that I truly thought would just be for family and friends and kind of serve as a journal for me had this pop up. I do check statistics periodically but this one blew my mind!
 
 

It's kind of fun yet kind of intimidating at the same time. Who ARE these people? Now I feel as if I should be saying things that are much deeper and exciting and that I had better really start checking my grammar and spelling. Lol In any case, I am who I am so welcome and I hope you might find some little something of interest that will keep you coming back.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment