decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, July 31, 2021

It Won't Be Long!

 I needed to get to the grocery store today and, even though I am trying not to be out and about in crowds again these days, I figured if I left the house early enough and ran quickly, I could sneak in and out of HL and grab a few things as well.

I have definitely felt the lack of new crafting ideas. It always happens in the summer but usually by the beginning of August, I have some ideas and can start my Halloween and Christmas gifts. This year...NOTHING! And, not for lack of looking. Nothing is standing out to me and I miss the opportunity to craft. And so, when my Grandin Road catalog arrived and I saw a simple autumn flower arrangement in a pumpkin, I had an idea.

I had just pulled a sunflowers arrangement out of the generic pumpkin container it came in to use in another way. I was actually going to throw the pumpkin away because it really wasn't pretty. Luckily, I hadn't done it just yet. I figured if I could find some pretty muted autumn colored flowers, I could pull this off...even though I really can't arrange flowers at all!!

I knew the flowers and colors I was looking for but HL didn't really have them. I wasn't about to go anywhere else, so I grabbed what I could along with a few extra goodies that I know I will need in my autumn decorating. I wanted muted orange, peach, burgundy and cream. I came close even though the cream azaleas are the last thing I wanted. They were literally the only medium sized cream flower in the entire store.

Here is the original pumpkin.

I didn't have the right color chalk paint...I didn't even have the right colors to mix the color I really wanted but I managed something and gave it a good coat of paint. This is why I love chalk paint...one coat and you are good to go!

A quick wipe on-wipe off of the antique wax and I was happy.

After this, all that was left was to put in the flowers. Lucky for me, this was an easy arrangement to do. I might add some curly twigs if I can find them but I think it is pretty. I like the muted colors. I think I will use this in the family room and, because I have some of the flowers left over, I might add the muted tones (with the eucalyptus and lamb's ear) to my mantle this year as well. We shall see...and, if the temps don't cool off soon, autumn will be out sooner rather than later in this house!


That's it for today. I'll be back. Stay safe and stay tuned.




No comments:

Post a Comment