decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, June 11, 2020

The New Kids on the Block

Do you remember the 4th of July ceramic jars that I picked up the other day? I wasn't sure what I would do with them but knew I could use them in lots of ways. So, here is the no-brainer way to use them. And, since the rains have brought so many blooms to my yard, this is probably how they will be used for awhile.




And then, even though I do not really enjoy shopping online - I like to be out and see and touch what I'm buying, but... - I do follow a site called Decor Steals. They feature mostly farmhouse decor but, every once in awhile I will see something that speaks to me and I just have to have it. That is what happened with this shelf. It reads very European to me and I knew I had to have it. Where it would go was another matter but just a small glitch that I knew I could handle.

I decided on putting it in the guest bath because I have never been much of a fan of the little wood floating shelf that was in there.

But, as usually happens with me, one thing always leads to another. I thought I could just swap one shelf for the other...but, that would have been way too easy. This shelf was larger and it required some strategic moving. It might be hung just a smidge too high but it is where it had to be.

It came with the keyhole hangers on the back which work just fine IF they are put on to the piece you're hanging in the exact right place and put on straight. I find that that isn't usually the case. I will say that this one almost got the better of me. Getting it hung level and centered was a job and a half. I actually walked away from it a number of times but, giving up was not an option so, by the end of the day, it was up. And, I only put the two required holes in the wall. I usually have to try a few times and then do a major patch job. Lol



Of course, once it was up, I realized that the mirror that used to hang over the original shelf was too large to go back. It would have literally touched the ceiling and that looked kind of silly so...I am now walking around looking for any open spots to use the mirror again but, luckily, I came upon some things to move to the new shelf that work just fine, so I am happy. In fact, I am in love with this shelf.

Since my decorator daughters tell me that no one uses towel bars any more, I am thinking of taking down the rack and maybe moving the shelf a little lower and adding two towel hooks instead. I am going to live with it awhile before I decide. Until them, I love it.


My girlfriend is due in a few minutes so I am off for a fun day...who knows what we'll end up doing! I hope to be back soon with more isolation adventures. Stay safe and stay tuned.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment