decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, December 4, 2017

The Season Has Begun!

When I was last with you, I left you with this image and told you it was a hint of something to come...really not much of a hint but, oh well-lol. Those of you that follow this blog know that I LOVE crafting...and wooden signs! And so, when I can find the time to do either-or better yet, both in one-I am hitting the ground running!


I was so excited to get going on this sign that I had seen on Pinterest that I actually forgot to document the steps but, they are really pretty easy. First I found a piece of wood in my garage that was almost EXACTLY the size I wanted. I trimmed it a bit and then I painted it all a very dark gray after which I painted over that in a chalky white finish.

I found it the easiest to cut a piece of brown kraft paper the same size as the wood and then just pencil out the words. The hardest part of this thing was making the wording kind of asymmetrical. I am a very symmetrical person and normally would have all of these letters line up just so. That being said, the sign I was copying replicating was a bit wonky and I liked it. It is always easier to do something not perfect because then your mistakes don't show up as much-except for me. In the end I'm glad I made myself do it and I'm almost satisfied with how my writing turned out.

In any case, once I had the proper size, I taped the kraft paper to the wood and went over the lettering with a ball point pen and lots of pressure. If I still had carbon paper, I would have used it but this worked out fine.

I then lifted the paper and went over the impression with a Sharpie. I probably could have used a paint pen and been done after this step, but I actually enjoy hand painting the letters. And, it gave me the leeway to make parts of the letters more or less bold.



Then, I always prefer to "distress" my wooden signs-another way to lessen any obvious flaws-lol. Unfortunately, I ran out of sand paper so this sign will get some more distressing after my next trip to Lowes. Then, all I did was add two sawtooth hangers and up it went.





I love it and I love sitting in bed reading at night with this glow around me. I'm apparently ALL about the ambience-lol!

I tried to get a picture of my dresser but the window light reflecting made it almost impossible. I just added a few of the Santas I have made over the years, some of my husband's and my childhood Christmas pictures and the little frame I made with two of my mom's old Christmas scatter pins-do they even call them that anymore?

 
Just managed to get that all done in the nick of time to get picked up and head off to the Kirby Family Farm in nearby Williston. They have a Christmas train and light festival and even though it is "no Disney" , the kids had fun and we had some photo ops.










I couldn't hear what she was saying but I'll bet she is telling Santa how it is always "their fault"!






So the holiday fun has begun! I've got a few more things up my sleeve this week and I am about ready to show you how the rest of the house looks. I'll be back soon. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment