decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, July 7, 2022

MIA...But Back Again

I'm finally back. I have had a busy week or so - first with lots of company. My grand daughter was here for another fun visit along with Hazel who then just stayed on while her family was off on another trip yet again. And then my brother and sister-in-law came down for a few days as we prepared for the 4th of July. We had a family get-together at daughter #3's house and had such a nice day with as many of the gang as could gather. My plan had been to take lots of pictures but that kind of fizzled after I got just this one. There was too much fun happening to interrupt for photos.


Once everyone left...and the house was much too quiet...I started taking down my 4th decor. As large a project as bringing all of that in is, somehow I forget it will be as large a project taking it out. Red, white and blue really only fit in my decor for the 4th so pretty much everything has to be swapped out. I have almost every room done and most of the things put up so I thought I would take a break and let you start in the living room. We are skipping the porch for now because even though it is decorated, I haven't had a chance to find any new "sunflower-ish" flowers yet and the urns are still full of red, white and blue. Hopefully I'll get out tomorrow and we'll see what I find.

Not sure if you can tell or not, but the small copper mercury glass bottle may look a little different this year than it has in the past. I guess a lot of what I have that I call mercury glass is just a painted version of a more complicated glass process - hence the fact that I have been able to purchase them so readily. None of that matters to me except that either because they are stored in the garage where there is no climate control or just because they are aging, every time I get a new decor out, some of the glass paint peels off of the pieces. From the patch job on this one, I now remember that I touched it up with glass paint that I had mixed last year. I don't have any of that left and I didn't want to get rid of this piece so I just repainted it with some copper acrylic paint that I had. I'm thinking that now that it has cured a bit, I will hit it with a coat of clear finish. When looking at this picture I realize that it no longer looks like "mercury" but I think it's pretty and will work a bit longer.




I'm not sure those dark green pillows will be staying on the chairs. My plan had been to use them on the couch where the color could play off of the dark green leaves on the sunflower pillows. But, when I tried that, there were just too many pillows and so I move them here. For some reason, they look too "heavy" to me and seem to be making the room tilt in that direction. Yep, the more I think about it, the more I dislike them. Going to change them right now! 

I think I like it better now but the jury may still be out...maybe I just need to put the cream colored pillows away. I definitely like the green pillows on the couch because there are a lot of other greens around that help ground them.




Here is where the decoupaged picture ended up.

It's kind of hard to see the glass coffee table in this picture but the large copper bowl is full of citrus fruit. And, of course, on top of it I had to put my shabby book stack. I like to use those colors mixed with the sunflowers for the colors of summer and then as we move into the kitchen and dining room I can bring in a lot of my Mediterranean things. I don't remember where I got them but I happened upon the citrus colored candles a few years ago and they are perfect for this decor.



So, that is the living room so far. There are usually some changes as we go so we shall see. It's nice to be back...see you soon. Stay safe and stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment