decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, July 14, 2022

Lazy Summer Day...

 Yesterday I told you that I was anxious to do some crafting and decided to start with another decoupaged image for autumn. I actually purchased this image from Etsy and thought I might make a number of them to use as gifts this year. I thought maybe my family would enjoy the softer colors of autumn over my usual black and orange of Halloween. But, even though I finally have this where I want it, I don't think it will make the cut as a gift. I have a pile of canvases left so we'll see what else we can come up with. But, I like it enough that I will find somewhere to use it soon.

As always, I started by using the water technique to rip off the hard, straight edges.

Then, I gave the canvas a coat of "plaster" chalk paint. It doesn't change the color but I feel like a coat of paint helps fill in some of the canvas texture and gives the ModPodge a smoother area for the print to adhere. Of course all the while this is taking place, my little shadow is never far away...this can't be comfy but she was like that pretty much the entire time.


I Mod Podged the print on to the canvas and then came back to hit the edges with the "rust" and black that are on the image. I was done but it definitely wasn't "moving me". And so, Hazel and I left it alone and went on to other adventures.


When I looked at it today, I knew it would drive me crazy...there was just something I didn't like. I used the white background because I thought it would mimic the white of the wood on the sign. But, I guess the contrast just wasn't enough for me. And so, I hit the edges with my antique wax...and it is so much better. The funny thing is I must have hit the nail on the head because when I went to paint certain areas, I realized that they were already a part of the image. Lots of that grunging you see on the print is not done by me. Lol


And so autumn begins...at least in my stash of things to come. HL has had things out for awhile and I swear my blood pressure goes down 50 points just walking through those aisles! I'm not sure where this will find a home but you'll be the first to know. Stay safe and stay tuned.






No comments:

Post a Comment