decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, March 10, 2022

I'm Back!

 You would think that by this stage of my life, I would know that I should never announce my plans because, in my life these days, things just seem to change with the slightest whim.

I really didn't think I would get to my craft and I sure never thought I would have a chance to post again so soon but, here I am.

I had a "student led" conference at my grand daughter's school this morning. This is something new to me this year. Last year, mom or dad were able to attend but, at the first conference this year they were both unavailable so Presley asked if I could attend. Apparently she and I made a good pair and she was very comfortable with me there helping her lead the way...so much so that I have been invited every time since.

I love going and doing this with her. She is supposed to tell me her goals, show me some of her work and grades and tell me how she thinks she can change some things to attain her goals. Then, I am supposed to comment on that, tell the school how I think things are going and then tell Presley how I might be able to help her with her goal quest. I think things go better with Nana than her parents as I am not there for the day to day school issues-reading so many pages a night, finishing homework when there are so many other things you would rather be doing, etc....kind of your typical parent/middle schooler angst. Lol In any case, I love being there for her and having a chance for some really meaningful conversation one on one.

Since her conference was early and Publix is right across the street from her school, I got my errands done and was home much more quickly than I expected...and good thing too because we have had some heavy storms the rest of the day.

Since outside was yucky I decided I would tackle my project. I have told you I am not very good with faux florals and I have not changed my opinion of myself since I said that but, I think if you really just shove in all the florals you possibly can, you may get an OK result. In fact, I am kind of loving this thing. So, here is a reminder of where I started.

I bought way more florals than I thought I would need because they were all just being stuck into that small piece of floral foam...and I actually cut much of that away so it better fit the top of the candlestick. Luckily for me, I have many containers of faux flowers that I use for all of my holiday decorating as I needed way more than I bought. I quickly realized I didn't buy any white flowers...and they seemed necessary so I "stole" some dogwood from my stash as well as many more filler flowers. Like I said, the more you can cram in, the less amateur you will appear.

I took one picture as I was just beginning to stick in some flowers and the apparently got in the zone because I didn't think to take any more until I was done. Here is what things looked like at the beginning and then again at the end.



And here is how he turned out. I actually love the way he looks with that spray of dogwood around his head. I might need to see what I can work out as I start my Easter decorating to make that happen again.



I am really lucky that this even happened. I had seen an inspiration picture and knew I wanted to try it. Since I have used the bunny head before, I figured I could pretty much get everything I needed at HL with maybe a few things thrown in from $ Tree. I have never liked $ Tree florals but, they have upped their game a bit and because I wanted lots of smaller flowers, I did find a lot there. All of the other florals were from HL and they're not inexpensive but, they are 50% off this week so I was OK with that. But, I was almost stopped in my tracks when I could not find the bunny head. I knew exactly where to find it in HL but, alas, there were none. Then I went up and down every single place I thought I might conceivably find some-I am a pretty good shopper and can probably point anyone to anything in most stores that I frequent. I also am aware of the secondary places I might find something. But this one had me...so much so that I actually decided that I would but a full bunny body made of the same "stuff"-at 3 TIMES the price-and just rip the head off. That is how much I wanted to try this. But, as I was about to admit defeat, I spied a lonely little unit that had hardly anything on it but, on the very bottom shelf, were a few heads peeking out. I will say that they must have been the leftovers because almost everyone of them had a glaring flaw but, I found the one that looked the best and I was ecstatic! And so, a new Easter piece was born. Now I just hope I can find a home for it that will do it justice.

And, can we talk serendipity one more time? If you are a loyal reader you will remember maybe a month ago when I was so excited to finally find some faux "Bells of Ireland". Well, imagine my sheer delight when today I happened upon some REAL ones. I have never seen them fresh before! My Publix is finally stepping up its floral department. Last week I found fresh pussy willows and this week these beautiful flowers. I know that to those of you where these things grow, this is not as amazing as I seem to be making it out to be but, I live in Central Florida and, although we do get a hint of the seasons, we don't get prolonged enough cold for a lot of these things to live and bloom here...and I am jealous. But, not jealous enough to trade my weather for the weather I would need. Lol In any case, one more "heart happy" scene in my house today. I will take another picture of this in a day or two because I know it will be even more beautiful when the tulips open a bit more but I couldn't contain myself!


So that is all I wanted to say today. I'm pretty sure tomorrow will see me cleaning and cooking. My brother and sister-in-law are coming for a visit and I want to be ready. We have some plans but I am not sure what our predicted weather will do to them so I thought I should be prepared. I'll be back soon. Stay safe and stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment