decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, March 17, 2022

I Didn't Really Lie...

I didn't really lie...I may have just stretched the truth a bit. Lol In my last post I said that I was on new Easter craft overload...and I am! So the plan was that the next time I got a crafting urge, I would move on to spring or 4th of July. But, I had forgotten that I had picked up four Easter signs at $ Tree. They are cuter than most of their things but still not something that I would add to my home decor without a bit of embellishment.

And so, when the urge hit today and I didn't have any other plans in place, I grabbed one of the signs and started taking it apart. I had absolutely no idea where I was going but I knew I didn't like the glitter with the subject matter so I started there and began sanding it off.


And, since I wasn't the biggest fan of the fabric on the backing, I grabbed my bench scraper and heat gun and pried the two apart.


I also spent some time with the heat gun taking the fabric off. The fabric that was glued very well onto the backing board. Once I had that complete, I decided that I wouldn't be using the back on this project but, I do have a nice clean piece of board for a project down the line...NOT Easter! Lol I got most of the glitter off and then distressed the image with chalk (the color name) and celery chalk paint and then my favorite antique wax.

After that, I just pulled some things I had around here. I tried a bow and didn't like that and, honestly, I thought I would just leave it as a plain, country sign...until I remembered that I had already made something similar and so I settled on some greenery and 3 small felt carrots up in the corner. It's cute. I have no idea what I will do with it but, it is cute.


And still not satisfied, I grabbed the Easter egg cutting board shaped sign. I almost started by prying it apart as well, but this one looked like I might actually ruin the image if I persisted and so I simply painted the board behind the sign with chalk and celery again and the hit the edges of the sign with the antique wax.


At this point I was less than impressed so I decided to add a beaded hanger with a tassel incorporating some of the colors of the eggs. I went with soft pink, violet and green added to twine. But that didn't do it for me either so I grabbed some more of my leftover flower odds and ends and added the embellishment. I didn't take pictures until I was done but I think I like this one too. It will probably go in the kitchen since it is cutting board shape.


I still have two more of these signs. I don't have any plans for them just yet, but you now know you really can't believe me so we shall see. Tomorrow St. Pat's comes down and I will be busy decorating for Easter for a few days so maybe I'll forget I even have them by then...or where I put them. Lol Stay safe and stay tuned. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment