decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, August 27, 2020

The Troublesome Sunroom

I think I have mentioned many times before that, with the exception of a few ceilings, there is truly not one inch of this house that has not been altered since we bought it brand new in 1973! The area that is now the sunroom was once just a small cement slab outside some sliding glass doors. Then, at one point, we extended the slab to meet the new garage at the other end of the house and screened in a portion of it. It was at that time that I decided that I wanted to add the brick lower walls....which I still love.

But, when we decided that we really wanted to enclose the entire area and add windows and another A/C unit for this side of the house for the sunroom we had always wanted, it became apparent that the walls that I love were now going to be our nemesis. If we were to make the room a more workable space, we would need to widen the floor plan...but, that would not only involve making the floor larger but taking down the walls to do it. Not an undo-able task, but one that was so much more work and money than we really wanted to expend at that time.

And so, that brings me to our sunroom today. It is really hard to furnish the way I would like because it is very long and narrow. I kind of have it divided into several different areas and it works but, when I try to photograph it, I realize what an issue it really is. Every now and then I try to think of how I could totally mix it up but, because of the amount of sun coming in...which is what I initially wanted, hence the "sunroom"...and the lack of wall space, I just keep going back to what is here.

And so, that is my story and I'm sticking to it...before I show you my bowling alley room. Of late, I have not over decorated in here because we do use this room to craft, eat, bird watch, etc when anyone is here and it is easier to use when there are not a dozen vignettes to move before you can start. Lol Also, because the old TV unit is now in here, so are my many seasonal pictures so I feel the need to at least have a few decor items splashed around.

Again, I'm offering my excuses as to why this room really doesn't show well. It does look better in person...but not much. Lol OK...let's bring it on!




I'm good with this end of the room...this is where all of the action usually takes place.


But, when you look in this direction, you see the bowling alley effect.


I love these wood pumpkins. I saw them many, many years ago in a magazine and was able to track down a nearby store that actually sold them. I have used them in my decorating every year since but this year I just couldn't find the right home for them so I just added them to this table to bring a pop of autumn color to this end of the room.



This end of the room is even more difficult. The kids' drink fridge is next to the TV unit and, honestly, the white table and the "fireplace" are both pieces that I like but I can't really find another place for. They do serve a purpose but they just don't seem to fit in right now. Doing this post has got my "wheels" going and I'm starting to think of some ways I can change this up.

 Right now this piece serves as the holding area for anything that needs to be put away in the garage or taken to the car...plus it has some gardening tools that I can grab quickly for a trim at this side of the house and saves lots of steps from where the rest of my garden tools are stored.

 This is my desk. I only really use it these days to address envelops and put on postage and address labels but, occasionally, I will sit there to actually write a letter. And, yes, I know the peace lily is drooping. I actually had watered it a few hours earlier but it just hadn't perked up yet.



This is the palette sign I made last year by simply spraying over a Dollar Tree felt shape. I also had a hard time finding a home for it this year so it is here for now.


And, here are all of our autumn pictures from over the years. I still miss having them in the family room but, I will say, this TV unit is a bit narrower than the large armoire that used to be here so it does give the space a bit more wiggle room.


Every time I post this room, I feel as if I treat it as the "ugly step child". I do tend to decorate in here with things that no longer have any other home...and it makes me feel bad but, in my defense, it IS hard to decorate and, usually by the time I have everything out of here and packed away from my last decor theme, I am exhausted and ready to call it a day...or two...or three. And so, it is what it is.

I'm having second and third thoughts about even posting this, but it is a room in my house and there are parts of it worth sharing so I am going to. Stay safe and stay tuned and by my next post I hope I will have some mums to share. I just saw where the garden shop finally got some in! Yay autumn!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment