decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, August 16, 2020

Long Time Coming

I started telling you about these ornaments probably about six weeks ago. They all began with some images I had printed last year...with really no recollection of how I was going to use them. As soon as I realized that the large circle was about the size of a large Mason jar lid, I knew where I was going with them.


The first step was the dreaded "rusting" process which took forever and still didn't have exactly the results that I was going for...but, at least I didn't use any potentially toxic mixtures this time. Lol



The rest of the steps were pretty easy. Just as I was preparing to get out my Dremel drill for the daunting task of drilling a hole in the rings for the twine, I saw where someone else had posted about using their Cropodile for just that purpose. Now, I bought a Cropodile years ago for my scrapbooking but I only used it for paper. The thought of it easily punching through some pretty thick metal never occurred to me. But, I'm definitely glad I gave it a try (even gladder that I didn't sell it at the garage sale or, better yet, that I remembered where I stuck it away all those years ago-Lol) The hole went in like cutting through butter...way easier than trying to hold the ring while drilling through it.



The rest of the process was time consuming but not difficult. Lots of cutting, glittering, threading twine, more glittering and even more glittering! And, it actually took four different glues because I was gluing so many different elements.


I started by cutting the images and glittering the edges.


Then I cut circles out of Christmas cardstock and glued them on to the backs of the lids.


 The lids were glued into the rings, threaded with Christmas twine, embellished with a piece of boxwood, a poinsettia and a holly sprig and then a pile of snow glitter was added.


I ended up running a bead of glue and glitter around the back side as well.


And, we're done. I think I like them. They were tedious but I think they will look nice hanging on the tree.


And, as usual, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I just felt something was missing on the top of the snowman head but I didn't want to do a hat of any kind. Then I decided to fall back on an old stand by-tea stained tags.




I stamped on snowflakes and wrote the word "snow" and I still wasn't feeling it so, once again, out came the glitter!


And yes, I like it better. I am still mulling over a few other ideas but, sometimes, it is best to know when to stop. We shall see.
 

So that gives me three entirely different ornaments in my Covid-19 Collection for 2020. I am running low on other craft ideas so I might just have to look for another ornament to add to the mix?! You'll be the first to know. Stay safe and stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment