decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, May 11, 2020

Decorating Dilemma

I have been isolating for almost 10 weeks now. I really thought I was doing rather well and staying busy and productive. But, for whatever reason, today found me roaming my house looking for things to do. Now, again, there are plenty of things to do...just not things I wanted to do. And so, my mind started wandering.

I have two daughters who make their living doing interior design...and I love their taste and trust their judgement. They know me and what I like so, they're both usually quite good on zoning in on things I would like as well. My youngest daughter has been trying to get me to take down the shutter in my living room that I kind of use as a divider. That shutter was a gift from my brother and sister-in-law many years ago. They found it in a Winter Park antique shop and it came from the windows of the Winter Park Yacht Club. From the minute I saw it, I knew where I wanted to use it. This is where it has been for all of those years and I love it there. The pictures I have on it I bought on our trip to New York City from a Central Park artist. They show various parts of the park in the four different seasons and I love them too.


But, recently, as I have been watching a lot more HGTV than I usually do, I realized that EVERYONE wants the open area concept. Now, I am not ready to go that far. I still love individual rooms where many different groups can each have their own private space. But, the idea of opening up the line of vision a bit got stuck in my head and I decided to give it a try. So, here is where I am right now.



Because of the symmetry and only layout of the room that will work for the furniture that I currently have, the couch can not get moved...not even a few inches. And, for whatever reason, I feel like there is too much room between the couch and the wall.

And so, I thought I would bring back the floor lamp that used to be there. But here is my next dilemma. I kind of like it where it is now and I think I like it even better with the shutter behind it. I think it gives that end of the dining room more balance with not only the height but it brings the white from the picture and the candles over to the other side of the room.



So, here is where I am right now. I sent out a text and all of my family like the LR without the shutter. They like the brightness that it brings to the room. I'm still not convinced. I am loving the shutter in the DR but missing it in the LR...too bad I don't have two of them. Then, I wouldn't have a dilemma. Lol

In any case, I have wasted spent enough time on this little project that it is now time to put my feet up and call it a day. Mission accomplished! Haha.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend. I got to talk with all of my family and then got to spend the day with daughter #3 and her family. We had a lovely day relaxing, visiting, eating, having a glass of wine or two and playing family games. Although things were different than usual, it was a wonderful day just the same. And, to top it all off, my son-in-law loaded me up with all of the leftovers. Yipee, no cooking for me this week.


And, along with a certificate for a day of labor by this group, I also received these beautiful windows. I'm not sure where they're going but I LOVE them. Just my style. And, I think I see tomorrow's project. Lol Stay safe and stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment