decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, May 15, 2017

You May Have to Take Me For My Word

Wow! I had so many titles for this post that I was going to use but when I went to download my pictures I realized that I would not be able to get any good shots of this project and you might just have to believe me!

I had a wonderful Mother's Day. I think I told you the celebration started last week with daughter #2 and her girls. Then, this Saturday my brother and sister-in-law arrived to continue the fun. If you are a regular reader of this blog, you know that I LOVE a project! I keep a running list so that any time anyone asks if I have something I would like some help with, I am ready to hit the ground running! I have had this project on my list for a very long time-so long in fact that when I recently cleaned out some old papers, I found it at the very top of a list from years ago!

I wanted some of my windows trimmed out-but, I didn't want to use very expensive moldings or use miter cuts. I have a miter saw and I could do the cuts if my life depended on it but why stress that much over a project that was supposed to be fun.

I went on Pinterest and found a number of pins that I had of "simple" window frame outs. These projects all used just straight cuts. I TRULY thought this would be a several hour project at most! Of course, maybe in an ideal world that could have been the case but factor in "advancing" age, bad eyes and a house that is 44 years old and things are not always as expected. Everywhere something was supposed to lay flat, it didn't. Plus, whoever put in our long sill in our living room-and it was someone I hired years ago to replace the ugly marble ones but I don't remember who-put them in to last through a tornado. We discovered that they were screwed into concrete block! Not the best picture but here we are with the header built and waiting and no sill! We also framed the small window by the door but no matter what I try, I can't get a picture of that for you. I love it because the old "granny" valance can now be gone!!

We did the same thing around the entry into the sun room but this one was super easy because we didn't need a bottom piece or sill.

As soon as we got to this point (which was now on Sunday ), daughter #3 and her family arrived bearing all the food necessary for a fabulous cook-out. It was delicious and since the weather was so nice, the rest of the day was pretty much spent in and around the pool.

After everyone left, I kind of planned out our week and I really thought I might put off the finishing of this project until next weekend-yeah, right. As soon as the caffeine hit this morning, I had the ladder in and I was on it! I spent all of today sinking nails, caulking, wood filling holes and sanding-yikes, the sanding. No where near as much dust as when we did the bathroom demo, but more than enough to write some good notes on about every piece of furniture within A/C distance!

I thought I would even get the front room painted today but, alas, when I went out to the garage to get my favorite trim paint, I discovered that I must have used it all when finishing the bathroom reno. And, as much as I wanted to do this, I wanted LESS to get presentable and drive to the paint store.

And so, I did something I NEVER do. I got everything prepped for painting tomorrow. I have it all wiped down and taped off and I cleaned up as much as I could. I am feeling pretty good about myself right now. Guess this is how the rest of the world who does their correct prep work must feel all of the time. Maybe I'll remember this the next time I start to touch up paint right over the dust-or maybe not. Hopefully I will have a reveal to show you soon. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment