decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Long Time Coming!

When last I posted, I told you I had one more Valentine gift that I wanted to get done this year! What I didn't tell you is that this has been on my "to-do" list for probably 5-6 years! The idea has been around so long that it was actually pulled from the pages of a Martha Stewart magazine and still nesting in one of my holiday "paper" files....so, that means definitely pre-Pinterest!!

I saw the idea for these potholders and immediately knew I wanted to make them. But, I think subconsciously I kept putting it off because of one factor-it involved bias tape!!

Bias tape and I are not friends. I can never seem to get good results on what I am sewing when this stuff is involved. I have sewn most of my life. I have made about every type of clothing known to man as well as costumes that I swear came right off the pattern mill at Bob Mackey or Dior-really tough things where tons of detail was required. And, most times, I pulled them off without a hitch. But, bias tape is my NEMESIS! I just don't like the stuff!

And so, every year, I pull this idea, put it on the top of my to-do list, DON'T do it and put it back in the file only to repeat the process again the next year! But, this year it would be different!!

And so I began and before I could say "seam ripper", I had a mess. I decided I would trim a bit and that should help but, alas, I forgot that that would leave me with a binding that would then be "empty"...and for you non-sewers, that is not a good thing.

I truly was about to trash the whole project yet again when I took a breather and came up with a few extra steps that even though meant more work, in the long run, a better product. So I plowed in once again and I am moderately pleased with the result. Hopefully no one on the receiving end will look too closely. Now that I have it down, I would like to make more but I am out of supplies and since this project takes many, I have decided to leave well enough alone. As Kenny Rodgers would say "know when to hold em', know when to fold em'. Know when to walk away, know when to run". I'm not exactly running but I am moving on without looking back!




Still want to make some cards and need to come up with some new ideas for our Valentine's overnight with the little kids next weekend but for the most part, I am ready. We have had the MOST fabulous long weekend. We spent Friday with daughter #3 and her kids out of town picking strawberries and enjoying picture perfect weather and then have had some "too good to be true" weather since as well. We had a beautiful lunch today after church downtown and enjoyed every minute of our outdoor dining experience. We are truly lucky to live where we do! More on this in my next post. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment