decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, April 4, 2022

Enough Is Enough!

This time I really mean it! I'm sure you remember me saying that I was done with Easter decorating...until I wasn't. Lol I came upon those super cute images that I just had to download and print.

Of course, except for the 4th of July image, I could have left the others for next year...but, I'm sure you know where this is going. I just could not leave those cute bunny faces until next year. At least two of them. And so, I decided to just mount them on whatever wood I might have and call it a day. No super duper long drawn out process. And so, that is what I did today in between doing some weeding, blowing and cutting back. 

I had a piece of chipboard left over from a $ Tree sign that I used for the first one. I just love those bunnies in the lavender wreath and knew they would fit in to all of my decor in the front of the house this year. I did my usual technique of painting some colors under the white coat but this time it really didn't sand away like it usually does on real wood so I just came back with some more swipes of the two different purples I was using. And, of course, after I ModPodged the image down I went back with some of my antique wax around the edges. 

Of course, then the challenge was to find a place for it after all of the other signs I had already made this year. The funny thing is that I don't really fancy myself as a "sign" person but ???? I wanted Presley's bunny to be a bit more visible so I moved it down a shelf and nestled this cutie into the tobacco basket with a small dough bowl and a bunch of lavender. I think I like it.



And then I just stained a board that I found at our new PopShelf store and decoupaged on the brown bunny image. This one ended up in the guest bathroom. Of curse now that I am looking at it, I no longer like that white sign on the left. I guess there are more changes yet to come. Lol



And yes, for those of you just dying to ask...my clock is working once again but, I sure learned what I didn't know about making a clock on this little project! I bought the hands and works at HL. They were $20. Believe me, before I put them in my cart, I went to see if there were any clocks I would like instead but, they didn't have any anywhere as large or of the style as the one I already have so, I bit the bullet. I bought the only one with hands large enough for my clock knowing that since they were black, the first thing I would have to do was paint them or they wouldn't show up on a black clock face.

Then, I thought it would be simple to disassemble and reassemble. Boy was I wrong. I guess because my clock is so old things must have just melded together. No matter what I did or what tool I used, the hex nut was NOT coming off. And so I did what any desperate person would do...I grabbed my crow bar and just started prying. And, I was successful in getting off the works.

Of course, in doing so, I also broke off a large hunk of the back of the clock...which turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I don't need to go into all of the details but, my works were smaller than the original so the shaft wasn't long enough to come through to the front of the clock. But, because it was MDF, I could chisel away more of the wood, jerry rig with different washers and somehow get the clock working. I will say that getting the hands adjusted perfectly so they don't get caught in each other was a huge challenge.

Now, if I wasn't so impatient, I might have looked a little more closely at what I had and, when not finding it at HL, I could have looked into finding it online. But, that isn't how I roll. I wanted it done! I did find out why my old workings were so much larger...my clock has a pendulum...or should I say it DID have a pendulum. These works don't have room for that so I just adhered the pendulum into the space and no one is the wiser. Some day I may happen upon the correct pieces. If so, I can redo it but for now, all is good.

I can't begin to tell you how many times I looked to that clock for the time when it wasn't working. It is just nice having it back again...the end justifies the means. Lol


And so goes another day! Stay safe and stay tuned.

    




No comments:

Post a Comment