decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, January 21, 2022

If One Is Good...

 If one Mason jar is good, two should be better! Right? I'm still looking for things to keep myself busy and, since I did the Valentine Mason jar vase the other day, I thought I would make a St. Pat's one today. Yes, I already have some I made in years past, but they are smaller and different and I just need to stay busy. Lol Here are the jars I made before.

With these in mind, I set out to find an idea that was different and Pinterest came to the rescue once again. I started the same way I did last time...clean the jar with rubbing alcohol and paint. I started with green chalk paint but my green chalk paint wasn't the right shade of green for me. So, I washed that off and gave the jar a coat of spray paint instead.


While that was drying, I printed out a shamrock and made a pattern and traced it on to the back of a sheet of St. Pat's cardstock.

I cut out the shamrocks and outlined them with a gold paint pen before gluing them together. I also painted the jar with a second coat of paint using just a shamrock green acrylic paint After it was dry, I used some sand paper to distress the finish a bit.


Since there was gold on the paper as well as the outline, I went with a gold cord to hang the shamrocks and then used  some green jute to wrap around the top of the jar.

I put some basic greenery in for this picture but that might be close to how I will actually use it when the time comes. I will decide after I know where it will actually "live".

And then there was still more time in my day. I'm not a real lover of country decor any more but, for some reason, there are some seasonal truck images that I like. They're usually the ones having to do with "you pick" kind of farms. And, I am obsessed with the old chippy wood signs for those farms. I perused the web and found a picture that I liked. After downloading it, I realized that I didn't really have any wood large enough. I could have made a pallet...and, I still might try that too...but, I did find one more 8X10' canvas so I was happy.

I gathered supplies and then started layering on colors. At the beginning it kind of looks like camouflage. 


I did a few layers of green and white before I added the antique wax. This process is always easier to do on wood where you can really sand and scrape but, beggars can't be choosers so I just kept layering and rubbing. At some point, I was actually able to get some of the paint to "peel" off. Then I ModPodged on the print and went back with more wax around the edges. As I said, I'm not totally sold so, if time permits tomorrow, I might try it again on wood.



I am always looking for new St. Pat's decor. It is not easy to find as, I guess no where near as many people decorate for this holiday as for others. I am 50% Irish...not to mention how much I love the color green Lol ...so it is an absolute favorite of mine! At least I have a bit to add to the mix this year. I'm a happy camper.

Stay safe and stay tuned.








No comments:

Post a Comment