decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, January 11, 2022

All That Glitters...

 We'll get to the "glittery" stuff at the end but, for now, let's head into the dining room.

I changed up the table decor a bit since I had this jar left over from moving things in the living room. Those of you who are here all of the time know that there is now a new wooden tag hanging from the handle. It helps to break up all of that red between the jar and the flowers.







A year or so ago, I went crazy and was making pillow covers for every holiday. Since I am not at all a painter, most of them are just OK but, for some reason, this one turned out better and I still love it. Can't remember how I did it and and don't think I could do it again...so, I guess it's a good thing I haven't packed it away somewhere never to be found again...as I do so often. Lol

So that is the dining room for this year. Now back to the glitter. No, it isn't the fun glitter that I love to use...it is just some "gold" that I have been living with forever and have been perfectly happy doing so until my darn "new eyes" came back to visit this weekend.

I spent much of the weekend painting my three outside back doors. I mentioned before that they had faded from the sun as well as from whatever the Florida Pest Control guy sprays on them. I do not enjoy painting doors. They always have so much more detail work than you would ever think. I should have gotten a picture before I started because, if you were to enter my yard now...after having been here before...unless you are SUPER observant, I don't think you would have any idea how much work I had put into it...when I could have just as easily been sitting by the pool with a glass of wine and a good book...but I digress. Lol

In any case, that chore is one down. Now, on to the next...which, I guarantee you WILL notice!

You see, I have a "cubby"...I truly don't know what you would call it...in my living room ceiling. It is right by the front door in the foyer and a light hangs down from it. Many, many years ago I got the bright idea to get up there and paint it GOLD. I don't remember it being difficult to do. Maybe that is because I was oh so much younger the first time around.


And that is how it has been with me...and everyone else...walking by it for years and years. And then the other day, my "new eyes" looked up and said "what in the world were you thinking?" and the decision to change it was made...just that fast...without me really thinking it through!

I knew I had leftover ceiling paint in the garage and, this was such a small area, how hard could it be? I also recognized that the new paint would be so much brighter than the old ceiling color but I figured since it was recessed, the shadows would probably disguise just how much difference there was. The one thing that I really didn't anticipate...well, there was more than one but the most prevalent one was the fact that even though I had already painted over the "popcorn" finish once and I expected there to be a sort of seal on it, it was still chalky and the paint wouldn't slide on easily. I was using a 3" wide brush, a much smaller craft brush for detail and a small roller. None of them worked. So many places were missed and then when I tried to give them another coat, all of the texture started peeling off. Not to mention that I had to be WAY up the ladder to reach the top, the hanging light kept hitting me in the head or getting in the way of where my arm needed to go and, it was HOT way up there!

Needless to say, by the time I was too far into it to stop, I realized I really should have been out there by the pool. I stopped after finally getting on what I would call an OK first coat...and let it be. I tried to give it a second coat the next day when the other had dried but it is still a bit of a mess...and, the color difference is definitely outstanding. Now I am thinking that I will probably buy a quart of an off white paint and give it another touch up. We shall see. Let's just say that my weekend definitely doesn't reflect the amount of work that I did. No one will know but me. Hey, maybe that's a good thing. Haha! Stay safe and stay tuned.








No comments:

Post a Comment