decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Hippity Hop Again...Backwards

 We're hippity hopping again today but this time we're heading back to St. Pat's. My last few crafts have been for Valentine's Day but since my next decor swap will be to St. Pat's, and I had time on my hands, I found a few more "green" things to try.

I was in at my computer trying to stay out of the way of the "window guys" who were here to fix a broken ballast or something in one of my large living room windows. I was scrolling through Pinterest when I saw a cute little St. Pat's shelf sitter made on an old, large wood thread spool. I had been gifted a box of spools many years ago so I kind of liked the idea. But then, of course, when I looked for the spools, I remembered that my grandchildren and I had made family gifts using all of the spools many years ago. But now, of course, I couldn't get the idea out of my head.

And so I hit my craft closet and found a few left over wood cubes from another grandchild project and thought I could make it work in place of the spool.

And, by now I was watching a craft blogger on my computer and this seemed like a simple project so I decided to stay put and craft right there...hence the even worse than normal lighting. Lol

I printed an image I liked, cut it out of card stock and backed it with more card stock to give it more stability. When I held it up to the cube, I felt like the proportions were off and that the image would need something to make it a big larger.



That's when I grabbed a large unfinished shamrock. I painted the back and ModPodged some scrapbook paper on the front. While those were drying, I painted the block and then distressed the edges.


It was at this point that I decided I needed to move out to the sunroom table because there would be some drilling necessary and, I had come up with another simple idea.


 If you look carefully, you can see that I glued the shamrock and the children together and added two short pieces of a bamboo skewer to the bottom back. I marked the cube and drilled two holes.


 I love my Dremel so much but I especially love it for its drill attachments when I am crafting. It is so much lighter and easier to control than trying to struggle with my full size drill on this kind of a project. I got lucky on guessing which size bit to use-the image actually fit into the holes perfectly-and tightly-and I didn't even need any glue.

Then, I played around with how I wanted to embellish it. I ended up using green moss and some more of those little shamrocks that I have. The cube looked a bit empty so I just used a shamrock 3-D sticker that I had in my scrapbooking stash.

And, as I was scrolling, I saw an image of a shamrock wreath impose over a dictionary page. I actually have something very similar but I like this image so I simply printed it out and added it to a frame that I had. Not sure where it will go but St. Pat's is one holiday where I can always use another decor item or two.

 My craft pile is growing...it is time to decorate and use some of these goodies. I would normally be doing my swap starting tomorrow but daughter #2 is coming down for the day on Friday and, since I know the transformation will not happen in just one day, I don't want her to have to climb over Rubbermaids and move things just to find a place to sit. Lol And so, I will wait until Saturday.

I'm off to enjoy this gorgeous Valentine's Day! I'm running a bit slower today because we had another lacrosse game last night and I was out later than usual. There's a picture out there but it is still on my very busy daughter's phone but, when it makes its way to me, I will be sure to share. Stay safe and stay tuned.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment