decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, April 13, 2023

Catching My Breath!

 I have been home since late Monday afternoon and this is TRULY the first chance I have had to sit down and try to get a bit of my trip documented. Again I will apologize to those of you who are her for crafts and decor because this is going to be another personal post so I have my vacation recorded for posterity. Lol

I came home to a week of three lacrosse games, a dentist appointment and a meeting with my daughter and her assistant to plan the decorations for my grandson's graduation party. Things are moving quickly now...lots of "lasts", dances, award ceremonies, etc. and I'm guessing the calendar will be pretty full between now and the end of May!

Today is Thursday and, except for the porch, all of my Easter decor is still up and I think it will be for at least a few more days! My oldest daughter wanted me to go back to St. Pete with her because she had a super fun week lined up and wanted me to join in on the fun. Usually I would have been able to do that but for once, I'm the one with the busy calendar! Lol

In any case...Kris and I headed out on Wednesday morning, got to Savannah, checked in and headed to River Street. We have been to Savannah so many tines that there isn't much we haven't seen or done at least once but, we love it so much that we wanted to revisit some of our favorites as well. It seems as if we always start on the river and today was no exception. We hadn't eaten so we stopped for an appetizer and a glass of wine.

Then we hit the bricks and walked down to the market area and into a few of the smaller squares before finally finding our way to a new (to us) restaurant where, I swear, I had the absolute BEST food I have ever put into my mouth! I am by no means a gourmand. If I am hungry, I am happy to eat anything-not to mention that I don't love to spend a week's budget on one meal. But, I will make all of the exceptions again in this case if I get the chance. We ordered a grilled lobster gnocchi in chardonnay cream sauce with asparagus and holy cow, was it ever delicious!!


 

We spent the last of the evening sitting in the square nearest our hotel and people watching and reminiscing. 

Day 2 was a FULL one. We headed out to all of our favorite places. Since all 3 of my girls were G.S. as well as my first 4 grands and both my daughter and I were leaders (me to my own girls and then to my grands as well), the Juliette Lowe house was a must re-visit. Boy did it bring back so many memories of so many past trips!


Then we literally headed up and down all of the beautiful streets. We found a new little chocolate shop.


We hit all of our old favorites as well before landing in my husband's and my all-time favorite square, Madison Square. I can't even tell you how many hours were spent here in the past feeding squirrels, visiting the little shops, listening to the beautiful church bells and watching the students from SCAD bustle by. There used to be a SCAD shop and museum on one corner of the square and I was disappointed to see it was no longer there until I realized that it had moved across the street to a gorgeous old building. We had the best time exploring in the new spot.






It was getting late and we still hadn't eaten anything so we found another restaurant we had never tried. We were the last people to be seated before the kitchen closed until dinner service so we pretty much had the dining room to ourselves. We both ordered breakfast. My daughter ordered a lobster croque madame-which she declared delicious-and me, being a bit of a purist ordered scrambled eggs, potatoes and a biscuit. Imagine my surprise when this is what got put in front of me! I don't know if it was because the kitchen was closing from breakfast service and they just piled on everything that was left or of the servings are always this large but, for once, even I couldn't finish this...and those potatoes and that biscuit were so good!



Then we were off again We hit a lot of other shops and squares and made our way back to River Street where we decided to try the sunset cruise on the paddle boat. Neither of us had ever done this before although we had both thought of it on many of our previous visits...and, we were not disappointed. We got the perfect seats and it was a 2 hour cruise up and down the river where we saw so many things we never knew were there!






 We went way down past the bridge and once we made the turn, the sun was starting to set and all of the lights of the city started to sparkle!









It was about 9:30 PM by the time we got off of the boat and we were hungry so we headed right across the street where we were lucky enough to get a table outside. River Street was still bustling and it was so much fun to eat and engage with people walking by. It was a late night by the time we got back to the hotel because we enjoyed our spot so much we really lingered. The good news is that we walked well over 10,000 steps that day so sleep came easily!

The next morning we headed back to the river for a few more quick stops and then it was time to say good-bye to Savannah and head to Charleston!


We're off to Charleston and Easter with grand daughter #2.

I had planned to do this all in one post but this is too much even for me so I will leave you on the edge of your seats until I come back with the rest.

We have our third lacrosse game of the week tonight so I need to get moving. Tuesday's game was a nail biter but we took the win so, no matter how tonight's game plays out, we're on to state because of their incredible record!

One last thank you to the fans for all of their support!



Tonight was a little bittersweet because it was Harrison's last time to play on his home field-football or lacrosse. After four years of both, there were many memories felt but, he is lucky in that he will be playing both football and lacrosse at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy so many more memories are yet to be made!

And, to round out an incredibly busy week, grand daughter #5 was Amelia Earhart in her school's "wax museum".

I'll be back soon. Stay safe and stay tuned.

















No comments:

Post a Comment