decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, September 14, 2020

Another Fun and Fast Week


This past week was another one of those weeks that I don't think I'm going to enjoy...but then I do. You all know that I like big projects so, when a week opens where I don't really have anything on the calendar, I'm a bit unsettled. But, with the virus and all of its restrictions, I'm actually learning to embrace the absence of plans and "just go with it".

That is how this last week went. I did what I wanted and, somehow, one thing always leads to another for me and, before I knew it, the week was gone. Even though our temperatures are still really high and we have rain off and on every day, I managed to get lots of yard work accomplished, I am always surprised at this time of year how much things have grown and gotten out of hand. This is usually when I start out trimming and end up taking things almost down to the ground! All of the branches get so thick and the new growth is not pretty so I just decide it is time to give them all a new start!

And then, as if in the blink of an eye, all of the gardens that were just weed free are now covered with weeds. So, I did a lot of that as well. I still have more to go but at least I put a dent in it.

This was also the week of things breaking down. Some of them I could goggle and fix...others, I wasn't so lucky with and will probably be spending some money as it gets closer to Black Friday sales.

And, of course, I always try to find a craft...and lately the new ideas have been few and far between. I had seen an idea on Pinterest and so, I gave it a try...it came from The Unpolished Barn.

I also think this might be something I could do with the kids, so while I was buying the wood, I bought a bunch. Then I got out my trusty chop saw and cut some tag shapes. I also drilled a pretty big hole in each because I really wasn't sure at this point what I was going to use to hang them.




I decided to start by making a set of three autumn themed tags. I knew I wanted the word "FALL" on one of them so I cut the letters from cardstock, lightly sprayed them with adhesive and put them on the wood.



Then, I painted the tag with white chalk paint and peeled off the letters.


I painted in the letters with a brown paint and then found some old felt leaves that I had from a long time ago. They were the perfect size to trace onto the others tags. Then, it was a simple matter of painting the leaves, adding a bit of detail and "grunging" up the tags with a brown wax stain.


I ended up using jute and then some colored butcher's twine I found that just so happened to be in the exact same three colors as the paint on the tags.

Of course, once I got to this point, I finally realized the problem with these tags. Everywhere I had seen them, they had been photographed laying down...not hanging off of something as I had envisioned. Once you try to hang them, they all slip in behind each other. I tried altering the length of the cords, but that didn't work so I set out to find the place they could best be displayed now that I had them made...and the wood to make many more as well! Lol 


This is what I came up with. Not the best solution but the best at the moment.


My next set was going to be for Halloween so, I am thinking I will only do two tags and see if I can maybe get those to hang more the way I had wanted. We shall see and I will let you know.

My weeks won't be quite as empty from here on out as football has returned. My youngest grand son (and his head coach dad) had their first game this past weekend - albeit between raindrops and wind gusts - and my oldest grand son's H.S. team starts this week...barring any more outbreaks of the virus now that school has started again.

Life is definitely different these days but, some routine has started to return and we are all getting used to our new normal. I was surprised on Grandparent's Day with a delivery of dinner, flowers and a lovely bottle of wine as well as many messages from my grand children, so the weekend definitely ended on a high. We'll see what this week brings...by the looks of the sky, at least the weather will bring no new surprises...rain with a chance of rain. Lol And, I'm guessing, followed by weeds and more weeds. Stay safe and stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment