decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Still Tweaking

It looks like I will be decorating for Halloween a little later than usual this year. I need a good four full days to have everything up and in order and, this year, life seems to be getting in the way. I have a number of commitments that are on the calendar that just won't give me that four day window. With that in mind, I decided to go ahead and tackle the other autumn ideas that I had. I figured they can be out for the next week or so and then can make a reappearance for November.

This first project is a lot like some jack-o-lanterns that the kids and I made a number of years ago. For whatever reason, they have been popping up all over blogland of late and I wanted to give them a try.
I picked up a 4X4 at Lowes and then some various embellishments at the Dollar Tree and HL. I cut the 4X4 into varying lengths and I was good to go.



The first step was to paint them. I used Waverly chalk paint for this project. The paint dries so quickly and I like the softer feel.



After the base coat, I painted polka dots on the largest and smallest and then added stripes to the middle pumpkin.



Next came a quick distressing.


I found some branches in the yard that came down with the last storm and cut them into stem sized pieces. My initial plan had been to drill a bit of a hole into the top of the pumpkins to give the stems a bit of a place to sit down into but, since the 4X4 was pressure treated and the middle of those pieces is really, really hard, I decided to just use a lot of hot glue and call it a day. These are just going to be sitting somewhere for show so they won't be banged around at all-the hot glue should be just fine.

I really wasn't sure how I would embellish them but decided on just a bit of raffia and a burlap leaf tied on with a piece of jute.




I had this tag in my scrapbooking stash so I decided to add it to the largest pumpkin.



In the scheme of crafts, they are really no biggie but I was just looking for something to wile away an afternoon and this filled the bill. I have the supplies for one more idea so we will see what tomorrow brings. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment