decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Last One...For Now

Today was pallet sign day. Since I have found tearing apart old wood pallets a really hard job - not to mention just lugging that super heavy thing home - I choose to make my pallets for signs these days. I'm pretty sure I could also buy one already made but, since I only used two fence slats ( at $1.08 each ), I'm sure this was the most inexpensive way to go. Not to mention the fact that I enjoy using my chop saw and putting the pallet together. And, this was finally my chance to use that felt pumpkin from Dollar Tree.


It was a simple matter of cutting the slats and using some wood glue on two cleats on the back. Because this was so small, I didn't even use any nails.


All of the ones I had seen on Pinterest simply left the wood raw and sprayed over the stencil with cream or white paint giving you a wood colored pumpkin when you are done. I will admit they were very pretty but, in my house, if it is "autumn" anything, it must have a bit of orange.

With that in mind, I decided to try to get an orange pumpkin by first painting the entire pallet orange and then over spraying with white chalk paint. I wasn't sure all of the orange would get covered but it did just fine. Also, I am so glad I bought a set of the Waverly chalk paint brushes. The larger surface and stiffer bristles made painting the rough wood so easy!


I was also worried that the "stencil" might move when the spray of paint hit it but I lucked out because the stencil was felt and the wood was rough so they stuck together very well. I was also a bit careful to just spray directly down instead of from the side.


And, voila! This was seriously so easy and the Dollar Tree has these felt shapes for almost every holiday so I think I might see more projects in my future.


When I brought it in I toyed with painting the leaf green and the stem brown but decided not to add any other color. I had also thought about adding some raffia but also decided against that. Either or both options are still possible if I change my mind. I did use some of the Waverly antique wax to bring down the brightness of the white and then I also gave it a light sanding to knock down a bit of the wood.



This is not where their home will be but, since my house is already so full of autumn decor - with truly not a free inch anywhere - I put them here for now. Halloween will be coming very soon and then when the autumn decor returns for Thanksgiving, I will be able to find just that right spot for them.


I have a busy rest of the week but I'll let you know if any more ideas float by in Pinterest. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment