decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, September 2, 2011

More Small Glimpses of Autumn

I'm sure those of you familiar with my house are saying "wow, where did that room come from?". You caught me. That beautiful room isn't in my house-it is on one of my Pinterest boards. I "pinned" it because after moving some things around in my living room, I was at a bit of a loss as to what to use on my sofa table.

This is what the table looks like now and I think it is very disjointed. I don't like the look of all the things in a row even though I have been seeing that look in high end decorating. I have decided that even though I don't own a long trough like the one above, I could certainly make one rather easily. I'm just going to nail some 1X6s together and stain it. After all, the box isn't the focal point and most of these things are old, so perfection doesn't prevail.

I may not get to it until I am putting up my Thanksgiving stuff, but it IS on my list and you'll be the first to see it, I promise. Since I use most of my faux pumpkins and gourds on my "abundance" mantle, I will need to keep my eyes open for some good sales before November rolls around.

I love this pumpkin tureen. I bought it at a country store several years ago and use it every time we eat soup this time of year. It somehow just makes it taste better. We'll be using it tonight as I made a big pot of homemade tomato-roasted red pepper soup yesterday to take over to my daughter's house. She made caprese paninis to add to it and dinner was delicious. Even Presley who is only 2 loved this soup. Because we were celebrating my son-in-law's birthday, I also made a pan of Congo bars and another pan of Paula Deen's brownies. It was the first time I made that Congo bar recipe and they were just O.K., but Paula's brownies are to die for. I only make them for other people and I ALWAYS leave the whole batch with them because they are just what you would think of when you think of Paula Deen-decadent eating!

I found these votives last year at Big Lots. I don't really like that store but I will check it out certain times of the years to see what they have and when I found these mercury glass votives in both green and orange for just $1 each, I bought every one they had. It's hard to tell, but they're quite a bit larger than a regular votive holder. I can use one or the other almost every season or holiday all year long-love it when that happens!

Here's my old, faithful sugar mold sitting on a runner I bought a long time ago that really is nothing more than silk leaves glued on a backing. It would have been so easy to make, but I was still teaching, sewing, raising kids, etc. back then, so purchasing fit the bill just fine!

Can you believe even some silly new dish towels can get me smiling. I have several other new ones that have leaves but somehow this graphic pumpkin really makes me happy!

Lastly, this is an Indian corn tureen I made MANY years ago when I was doing ceramics. If I remember correctly, I also made a matching set of corn dishes and salt and pepper shakers-haven't a clue where they have made their way to and I almost didn't even unpack this guy this year, but then I remembered how long it took to not only paint each corn kernel a different color but to paint each one 3 times as you have to do with ceramics. After all the time it took to make, I really should set up a little shrine for it and display it ALL YEAR LONG.

And now for my reminder that pride always goeth before a fall...well, you get the idea. When I was gloating the other day about all of my found time I should have known it would come back to bite me and bite it did. When I ran out to get the mail and my shutters had dried from my cleaning, they were even more faded than before-the strong bleach water probably didn't help much, but I digress. So, I ended my evening on Wednesday by repainting all of the shutters on the front of my house. It really feels good to have it done, but I wasn't feeling that was while I was climbing up and down the ladder and struggling with large bushes and vines!

I have been out doing some errands so that I am ready to go full steam ahead on my Halloween gifts and decorations-even think I have talked my husband into letting me make the "Dead and Breakfast" yard sign I have been wanting-so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment