decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, August 6, 2022

The Only Thing Better Than Buying Things...

 I have always LOVED to shop. I could literally shop from the minute a mall opened until the very last second before it closed...and have done that many times on Black Friday in all of the malls in Atlanta. But, as I am now older, I don't have the energy, funds or need to do that any more. But, I do still love to shop. And so, when I finally headed out yesterday with just a general idea of what I might be looking for, I was in my glory just walking up and down the aisles of Home Goods, Marshals, Barnes and Nobles and Hobby Lobby. The autumn stuff has hit all of these stores and I didn't care any longer that it was sweltering just outside of those doors. Lol

And, to make life even sweeter, all of the things labeled "spring" in Hobby Lobby were 75% off...even though nothing I bought read "spring" to me. And then, I remembered that I had been given a lovely gift card to Home Goods/Marshals/TJ Maxx awhile ago and, it is like the gift that keeps on giving. I have used it several times and still had a fair amount left on it. And, of course, as I am chopping at the bit to get on to Autumn, that is where I concentrated my efforts. I did pick up a few "normal" supplies that I always need that were on sale as well.


I swear just looking at this picture lowered my blood pressure 20 points! Lol I love the contrast between those oranges and the natural woods. HL had sooo much wood on sale-lots of risers, trays, bowls, etc. 75% off! I seriously could have bought one of each but, thankfully, sanity prevailed and I didn't. I already have so many beautiful wood pieces and, let's be honest, I only have so many surfaces on which to display these items. As it was, I walked around a bit to find all of these beauties new homes but, find homes for them I did! It might not be their permanent homes but I had to fit them into the sunflower decor that is already here...where they end up next decor is anybody's guess. 

Of course the pillows and pumpkin will wait until the autumn decor goes out. The pillows were not only a good price to begin with but, since I had the gift card, they were free to me!!! And, they are down alternative filled with zippered covers so storing them will be easy. I have so many pillows that now, if I can't just slip off the cover, I'm prone not to buy them.

These pillows are a soft velveteen with autumn leaves and pumpkins stitched on the top. I'm not sure yet where they will go but I know they will find a good home soon.

And then, can you just look at that pumpkin. These pumpkins were all over the blogs I follow last year but, by the time I went to look for one, there were none left in a color I wanted. This year I was determined to find a pretty orange one and find one I did. This pumpkin has a pretty metal stem and looks beautiful when not lit but I think it will be gorgeous set on one of my deep shelves in the family room when it is all aglow. The only draw back it has is that it doesn't have a timer setting so I will have to turn it on and off nightly but that is a small price to pay for this beauty! And, speaking about price to pay, it was free to me as well! Lol

And, once again, I was hit with some serendipity. Do you see that small, concrete riser on the left? I have one that I used all of the time. Then, I bought a new light for my kitchen area and it was a tad too small so this riser got put into use there and there it needs to stay. I think every time I decorate, I say "I need another one of those risers". And yet, I never seemed to see one....until yesterday when, shoved into all of the other stuff that was 75% off sat this cutie. Of course, it had a pretty large hunk out of the top but that didn't bother me. First of all, it looks like chipped up concrete to begin with and, secondly, I knew I could fix it. And so it came home with me. I simply smoothed on a bit of spackle and when that was dry I sanded it off and painted it to match. I actually thought I was going to have to mix some colors to match it perfectly but, much to my surprise, the color "mineral" in the Waverly chalk paint matched it perfectly and you truly can't tell there was ever anything wrong with it. This beauty cost a whopping $2!

The oval tray/riser is on the table next to my TV watching chair holding a frame right now but I can see it used in many places. The small cutting board joined another on the kitchen counter and the sunflower towel is hanging from my 3 tiered tray.

And so, that was a day well spent! I'm catching up on some outside chores toady as well as waiting for the return from Atlanta of daughter #3 and two of my grand daughters. I can't wait to hear about their adventures at the Morgan Wallen concert and days of shopping. Tomorrow I will be celebrating grand daughter #5's 13th birthday, Monday my skylight is being replaced, Tuesday my car goes into the shop and Wednesday my new A/C unit is being installed. Super busy, exciting week but, if I'm honest, no where near as much fun as my day of shopping for free or close to it. Lol Stay safe and stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment