decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, February 18, 2022

St. Patrick's Day Serendipity

I think I told you in my last post that I was still looking for some new St. Pat's craft ideas. Most of the blogs I follow skip right over this holiday and go straight to Easter and spring. But, being a lover of all things green and 50% Irish...not to mention a little "all holiday" OCD...I can't skip this one. Especially this year when Easter is so late. I have actually never skipped it. In any case, you also know that I really don't have a creative bone in my body. I will admit to being an excellent copier and tweaker but, I have to see something to get a jumping off point. Usually when I fly on my own, I am not happy with the end product and this project was heading right in that direction until...

It all started with a quick trip to the $ Tree to grab some items for my unplanned Valentine's weekend. They were just starting to put out St. Pat's and I spied this shamrock so I grabbed it.


I had no idea where I would go with it but I knew I didn't like the burlap heart or the "plastic-y" feel of the image. I grabbed my heat gun and it was a really simple task to melt the glue and pull off the burlap heart.


I actually did this while I was sitting at my computer watching a blog I follow. I gave it a bit of a sanding to get rid of the glue residue and then started painting the stripes. Since I wanted them to still look like wood planks, I sanded some more and did a bit of dry brushing.


Once I got to this point, I stopped and began decorating for the day. As I was looking for places to put some of my new finds, I realized that I wasn't totally in love with one of the little vine shamrocks that I bought because no matter where I put it it just kind of blended in. And so, I went back to the shamrock and tried it there.

OK. It is getting better but I still wasn't happy with it...and kind of figured that was it. It hung it on a nail in the sunroom (where you may remember sometimes becomes the land of "nowhere else to use you" items) and forgot about it. Until I was perusing my St. Pat's downloads and happened upon an image of a vintage postcard. And then it hit me...the colors were exactly like the colors on the shamrock and the feel was exactly where I wanted to go. And so, it was a simple matter of printing it out, cutting it out and distressing the edges even more than they already were. And, voila, that is all it took to be moved from the spot of shame to the old, red cupboard in the family room. Lol I love it. And yes, I could probably still do more to it but I'm letting less be more...for once. Lol


 

Doesn't that postcard look like it was just meant to be with that shamrock? Sigh!


It is finally Friday and we are supposed to be getting some much needed rain-although it still hasn't happened yet. I was going to use the rain as a good excuse to sit down and watch a movie but I'm feeling guilty doing that just yet with the sun still trying hard to peek out so I guess I am off to the next chore. Stay safe and stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment