decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, February 3, 2020

Valentine's Day 2020

I know, Valentine's Day is still a bit away but, when I have my Nana's weekend, I feel as if I have celebrated the day in style. This year it was me, the three "littles", daughter #2, my brother and sister-in-law, grand daughter #3 and Becky's mother-in-law. I love it when my house is full. The more the merrier...and, on Nana weekends when I try to cram in so many things, the more extra hands, the merrier. I love it how we could all be together working on things and then split up into smaller groups when it came time to cook or bake so that we could actually get a meal or a goodie out at the same time.





We started this year with a really simple lunch. A few years ago I might not have been OK with just how simple this was, but times have changed, we have done every cool thing I could think of and, let's face it, I am just that much older and slower. Lol Let's hear it for a heart shaped sandwich, arrow fruit kabobs and chips.




We also got to help celebrate Becky's birthday!


As soon as lunch was over, we got started on our crafts. The first was a canvas Valentine. I love how even the guys dive right in. I don't know if they just do it to humor Nana but I'll take it however it comes!


While the backgrounds of the canvases were drying, we started on our goodies. The guys were in charge of the Rolo pretzels...


...while these two got going on the cake for dessert. Those of you who are observant might recall that we have already had a birthday cake...but, Presley loves making cakes for us so we just had to go for another...Lol


Our second craft was the decoupage plates and I am always in awe of how these turn out. I have done this craft for so many years and with all ages and have truly never seen one that didn't turn out beautifully. You really can't do anything wrong that can't be fixed. And, when filled with goodies, they make an incredible gift!


Here are some of our masterpieces drying.


 Since Morgs needed to head back to St. Augustine before it got totally dark, we decided to play some of our games now. We always love our Minute-to-Win-It games but I think we had the most fun this time with Valentine Scattergories. I wish I had recorded some of the answers...especially those from the guys!

"Stack the candy hearts on the tongue depressor" is always another favorite. I always start out playing but then start laughing so hard that I end up just taking pictures of the craziness.



And, the winner is...


Once the cake was out of the oven, Presley was ready to decorate. Again we used a boxed mix-Valentine Funfetti- but "zhuzhed" it up by adding another egg, substituting butter for oil and milk for water. I really don't like boxed mixes but once you try this you will never know it is not from scratch.


She really takes this job seriuosly!



And, again, I surprised myself by the simplicity of our dinner. We simply formed spaghetti into a heart-or at least we tried-and called it a day. Of course, we added heart shaped cheese and cucumbers to the salad.


This was Hud's creation. Usually his sister does the food styling but this time he wanted his to make the blog as well...lol.


And, not to be out done, his sister added a bread stick arrow. And, as I look at these pictures, I realize that we should have done the sauce in a heart shape too...oh well, they were hungry and it tasted the same either way.


Someone may have had a bit too much sugar by the time we got to this picture. Lol




We have made similar M&M bars in the past but this recipe was delicious!! I am going to keep it and we will probably make it with the appropriate M&Ms for every holiday. Just think how good it will taste with the green M&Ms I found the other day!! St. Patrick's Day here we come.


A few of our masterpieces went home last night but look how awesome...and entirely different...all of these came out!


I decided to try a different breakfast this time...of course the first two kids awake asked if I was making the pancakes...so we started with heart shaped (sort of) cinnamon rolls...


...Aunt Cyndi and Uncle Joel's breakfast casseroles...


...and fruit.


Oh yeah, and paper plates again. We washed enough dishes this weekend to last a good long while!


And just for good measure, a few random pictures my sister-in-law caught during the day. That is one of the best things about these crazy weekends. I love all of the little side adventures that take place.




So, another one is in the books and I am already chomping at the bit to get St. Pat's planned. I know I do these weekends for myself as much as the kids but when any of the older girls talk about their memories, I know we "done good"...and, when one clears her very busy, almost ready to graduate college calendar because she wants to share in the fun she misses, well, my heart just bursts. That is why we do this!!! There can never be too many memories. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment