decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, January 31, 2020

Wrapping It Up

There is a reason I should stay out of stores this time of year. As much as I am not the biggest fan of Valentine's Day, when I am planning a "Nana" weekend, anything is fair game. If I see something I think the kids will like, I get it. And, if a craft we are doing gives the kids any kind of choice in supplies, I seem to have to buy everything that could possibly be a choice. And then, don't even get me started on St. Pat's, Easter and spring decor. If you have been a reader for awhile, you know that my favorite color is green...I love it in any form. And so, as all of the beautiful spring things begin to fill the shelves, I am a goner!

Luckily, I like a sale...and St. Pat's and Easter isn't on sale yet so I lucked out a bit-although, I do have my list ready, willing and able to hit those stores as soon as I even suspect it may be time.

I have changed my mind a few times on the crafts for this weekend. I think I have finally settled on the napkin decoupaged plates that we can fill with goodies and a canvas that the kids will have free rein to decorate as a shelf sitter or hanger. Of course, that is where I ran into trouble because I want the kids to have lots of choices so they can design their masterpiece any way they want. I love how they all start with the same things and yet they all turn out so differently. And, I think we may even have a few more guests this weekend so it should really be fun.

So now I begin the organizing part of the weekend. I like to have everything laid out so we do not have to spend time digging through closets, drawers, etc. Of course, there is always the "one" who wants something I didn't put out, but they are so familiar with my house that they pretty much can find what they need on their own.

Since I adore the age old tradition of hand made Valentines and have done it for years and years starting way back when I was young, if I can incorporate something like this along the way, I am happy. But, I didn't just want the kids to make cards. And so, I came upon the idea of giving them canvases and letting them design them much the same way that they would a card but it could then be used as a piece of decor.

I always like to do a sample because that way I can figure out the bumps before the kids are actually doing it. And, I did encounter enough bumps along the way that I have modified our schedule a bit to accommodate a longer "drying time" than I anticipated.

Since I love vintage design so much, I went that route. The canvas will start with a sheet of decoupaged tissue paper. Since I came upon this paper, I was a happy camper. Most of the other papers I have are a bit more "modern" in design and I assume that will be the way the kids will choose to go.

After the tissue is dry, their imagination will be their only limit. I have, beads, sequins, stickers, rosettes, gems, glitter, etc. They can go to town. I went pretty basic because it is just a sample and I needed to move on to other things.


The other things I needed to move onto being this:
 
 
Normally, all of this would be on the dining room table and we would be crafting in the sunroom. But, since we will be 9 people this weekend, the dining room table will be needed for our work space and I'm keeping the sunroom free for any over flow of projects. And so, the kids' bed is serving as my organizing space. Hopefully we will have used all of this before bedtime...lol

I truly try to anticipate anything we may need so that I can be with the kids and not rummaging around trying to find supplies while they are waiting. We really do squeeze in a lot of "stuff"...hence more memories...in a weekend and this helps keep us moving along.

And so, I am off to get the rest of the weekend organized...with maybe one quick stop beforehand.





I told you I was starting to pick up things I saw for St. Pat's. I always grab the green M&M's when I see them and green jute? Well, you never know. The rest of the items are from the $ Tree. I saw the cutest idea on a craft blog that I follow and knew I had to give it a try before all of the supplies were gone. Of course, now that I have the supplies, I can wait until next week to actually do the project, but somehow, every time I walk past them, I feel a tug. So much to do...so little time. You know I'll be back soon with lots of photos. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment