decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, January 9, 2020

New Kid on the Block!

Say hello to the new kid on the block.


Let me tell you...this picture that you are looking it looks calm and peaceful but, I only wish I had documented the agony it took to get to this point. I'm pretty sure my daughter's handy man will never agree to "simply" move furniture ever again.

The story started at 11:00 a.m. yesterday morning when Ed and his helper arrived with the two middle pieces of this unit in their trailer. I have already told you the domino effect that bringing in this piece was going to have with other pieces in my house but, even I did not fully understand the scoop of this process.

I will not bore you with the details. Suffice it to say both pieces are now in their FOREVER homes and the extra pieces are shoved wherever awaiting pick-up by daughter #2...and to be honest, when she sees the size up close and personal of the one piece, she may decide to pass. Lol


Believe me, I am chomping at the bit to get the shelves into this piece and start the decorating but, many of my components are still not hooked up so the poor guy is coming back and he will once again have to move this behemoth and trust me, he does not need another ounce added to that move. This is the heaviest piece of furniture in history!! I think that is why I have always been drawn to it-not its weight but its overall presence! When all of the rest of the world is getting rid of pieces like this I am still craving as many as I can get. It feels old worldish to me and I think that is where I belong. Try as I might to simplify, I keep getting pulled back to this.


Just look at those beautiful details...and yes, that would be some of my wall and woodwork paint you are seeing as this beauty did not want to fit in any doorway of my house. Doing a bit of paint touch-up is a small price to pay in my opinion. I do wish there was somewhere else to place the surround sound speakers but he tells me "no" so I will just decorate around them.


So, as we speak, this is how the family room looks...not much out of place except the shelves propped against the wall. But, let's show you the reality of the rest of the story! The old unit ended up in the sunroom and I am happy with it there as it is not as deep so the room seems a bit wider. But, because the TV that used to be here was the last of our HUGE, deep TVs, it would not fit in this unit. And so, we decided to use a newer set that we had and weren't using any more. Except, yep, you see it. All of the areas that I couldn't get to with paint when I painted it years ago and the larger set was there are now totally visible.


No problem I thought, I still have the paint so it should be an easy fix. Yep, that's what I thought but, for whatever reason, the exact same paint is not sticking on the exact same surface. I have tried a roller and I have tried a brush...and it is just not working. I am not giving up and am just laying on very, very thin layers of paint in hopes that one of them will finally give the surface enough "tooth" to finally start sticking. At this rate, it looks like I'll be here awhile!

And then, of course, the large opening in the back is driving me crazy so I am trying to find something steady enough to use as a riser for the TV.


I did keep the doors we removed off of this unit when our brand new TV wouldn't fit and thought we could put them back on but, as I pulled the doors out of storage in the way back of the garage, it appears that I either didn't keep the track mechanisms or I did and somewhere along the line I found them, didn't remember what they were and tossed them. I truly have NO recollection of either. In my defense, it was a loonnnggg time ago.

In any case, I did bring the holiday pictures out here and I like them. I'm sure a few will find their way back into the family room once the shelves go in but the majority will now be here and I can do some "fancy" merchandising of the other shelves. I've already started shopping my house so we shall see how that turns out.

For whatever reason, this isn't bothering me...just yet. It is some of the stuff being discarded or finding a new home and will be here until that happens.



Everything is just kind of shoved in here but, as soon as that TV is gone I can move the plant stand back where it belongs and we shall go from there. Hopefully there won't be a fire and someone will need to get out that way-lol.


So that is where my day is and will be for awhile. As soon as everything is back to "normal", I will be posting again. Hope you are having the same glorious weather that we are having...crisp enough during the day to know its winter and be able to wear a sweater and chilly at night but so nice for sleeping under a big down comforter or having a fire in the fireplace. Enjoy and stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment