decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, February 22, 2020

I Should Have Been a Painter!

I should have been a painter...not an artist mind you, but a painter. Once again I got started on something I wanted to document and the first time I actually thought of it was as I was completely finished! For whatever reason, I just love to put paint to anything and watch it blend!

In any case, I had pinned a St. Pat's sign on Pinterest that I liked and thought might be easier for our kids' weekend. It was actually done on slate but, even though I have a good bit of slate left from our floors, I had also bought a stack of canvases and felt painting on the canvas surface would be much more "user" friendly!

And so, I painted the whole canvas with black chalk paint to give the feel of the slate. Then, I spaced off three sections - which would be painted the three colors if the Irish flag - leaving a thin bit of the black between them and really just dry brushing on the green, white and orange.

When that was dry, I traced a four leaf clover pattern that I still had from way back when we made shamrock shirts. I painted it with shamrock green and then came immediately in and blended in some lighter green so the edges of the leaves would stand out against the green of the flag.


Of course, after just now looking at this picture, I realize that the sign was supposed to actually be the Irish flag...and the flag has a shamrock (three leaves) instead of the four leaf clover that I used simply because I already had the pattern. Oh well, artistic license?


 And then I was done...I thought. I could add a word, I could add some twine or St. Pat's ribbon and make a hanger, I could add some gold accents...or any myriad of other details. And then, as I was setting it up to take a picture, I saw the sequin picture all done and for some reason it didn't look as tedious as I had originally thought. And, that is when the idea struck. Since the kids are getting older and have their own ideas on how things should be done, why don't I just paint all of the canvases the black background color so that boring step will be done and then just have the supplies available for either project and some extra stuff for embellishing and let everyone "go to town"?

I think there might be a taker or two for the sequins and I can probably guess who will go with the painted canvas.

Of course, I now have two more "signs" to incorporate into my already pretty filled decor but, I will work on it and I am sure I will find just the perfect new homes for them.

And, once again I am waiting for the day to warm up a bit so that I can head to the garden. Right now it is 42 degrees but they say it feels like 38! A bit too nippy for this Florida girl to have her hands in the dirt...if I could even get into the dirt! So, I am piddling around again. Thought I would show you how this turned out. I think a small bunny sitting on top will finish it off and I am pretty sure I will have the perfect one when I get out the Easter bins!


And, I might just have a dilemma on my hands. As I was just putting the bunny things away until next month, I realized how perfectly the colors in this pillow go with the bunny statue colors. Now, here is my dilemma...the pillow goes perfectly with my new burlap sided chair in the sunroom but the plan was to use the bunnies in the living room. But, come on, they have to be in the same room...and I think the living room wins out. Guess I will be looking for another "perfect" pillow for my chair. Stay tuned.


What you can just barely see is the green border that runs down the sides of the pillow that is just exactly the same green as the bunny's over-alls! Meant to be!!!

OK, if any of you who know me were taking bets...you probably win! I had to do something more and truthfully, I'm still not sure it's done. Lol


No comments:

Post a Comment