decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, June 27, 2019

Ahhhhh!!

I know I have posted about this before, but I love the smell of citrus blossoms. I grew up along the Indian River-home of  what some say is the "best citrus in the world"-and, where the smell of blossoms often lingered in the air!

I know I have blogged about our frequent trips to McKee Jungle Gardens and the bottles of intoxicating orange blossom perfume my cousins and I always bought. And so, I am finding myself taken back to my childhood once again every time I walk up the steps to my pool.

I had wanted a meyer lemon tree forever but, they were expensive. Once day I saw what I would call more of a lemon "bush" at Lowes and I grabbed it and wasted no time bringing it home and getting it planted in a large container near the entrance to the pool deck. I really don't think I ever thought much about it doing well. I just loved the romance of the thought of it. I figured it would stay green awhile and when it no longer was, I would yank it out and put in another topiary!

But, all it took was one "harvest"-of ONE lemon-and I was hooked. Not to mention that the meyer lemon is delicious! And so, knowing it wouldn't take long for this bush to drink up all of the nutrients in the potting soil, I purchased some fertilizer spikes made for fruit trees. I hammered them in and went about my happy way.

And then, I noticed another bloom on the tree...and about 14 more lemons coming. And then soon after, another bloom and even more fruit popping out. And now, just a month or so later, another full bloom. I googled this and it is not supposed to happen. The blooms should appear in cooler months and cool it is NOT right now!

I have no idea what is happening but every time I open the side door, I smell those blossoms and I am back in Vero Beach...and so much younger!!

I don't know how long this will continue but I am definitely seizing the moment and stopping to smell the "citrus"-OFTEN!



Guess I'm going to have to start looking for some meyer lemon recipes!

Heading off to do a bit more yard work. I am hosting a big family get together this weekend so there is much to do both inside and out! I've still got my buddy here as well so it will be fun trying to get anything done with my constant companion by my side. Truth be told, I will miss him when he goes home but I know I can borrow him back any time the urge might hit. Lol Stay tuned.

I think he knows I am "talking" about him. And yes, he has two eyes. He is just so dark that it is really hard to get a good picture of him and two seconds after I snapped this and he knew I was looking at him, he was by my side so no chance for another try!


No comments:

Post a Comment