decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, June 1, 2019

Whew!!!

They are saying we are not having record breaking heat here in Ocala but what's 1 or 2 degrees when the temperatures are this high?! We've been in the high 90s all week and when you factor in the humidity, it is debilitating! Almost even too hot to go in the pool if that makes sense. At least not until later in the day when some of my neighbor's trees - which I dislike in the spring and autumn because of all of their falling leaves and twigs - cast some shadow over my pool and they quickly become my best friends! Lol

In any case, I've been trying to do mostly indoor chores and if I must be outside, I try to get out there early in the morning or later in the day. It is almost impossible to keep all of the potted plants watered and happy as they seem to dry out as quickly as I water them.

Although it probably sounds like I'm complaining, I'm really not. Flowers are still blooming, skies are clear and the days are purposely lazy!

That being said, I've had a busy week with lots of company. Memorial Day weekend was wonderful. Once again we were doing so many things that I didn't take any pictures but with the help of my brother, sister-in-law and grand daughter #3, many things were crossed off of the to-do list.

Perhaps the #1 issue was the re-thinking of the dining room chair covers that I bought a while back. They were made for Parson's chairs - which mine sort of are but with a rolled back. I could get the covers on but they pulled a lot and didn't look very good. I knew there was some sort of a solution but "inventing" something from nothing is not my forte. I knew my sister-in-law would be the one to figure it out - and she did! Not an easy task but first thing off the list!

Then, I have been wanting to take the top bunk off the bunk beds for awhile. The kids are all too heavy to safely sleep up there any more and the poor kid that sleeps on the bottom gets NO air circulation at all. This was almost as traumatic as dismantling the crib after so many years of grand children sleeping there but it was time! Of course, I didn't want to get rid of the second bed because I will be moving the kid's "dorm" in the future and we can bring the second bed back into the picture. For now, my office can sleep one on the bed and one on the trundle. Second thing off the list.

After we did this, I realized that I am seeing this room with my "new eyes". What once didn't bother me, now does. This room began as our youngest daughter's bedroom. When she graduated from college and went off to make her life, I had all of the built-ins added and this became my craft/sewing room/office. And then the grands started coming and we needed a dormitory since the four oldest girls were here together so often...cue the bunk beds.

I seriously can't believe that I can't find a picture of the bunk beds but that might be because most were from before I went digital and I just don't have it in me to go through thousands of photos. You know what a bunk bed looks like. This is the best I can do as seen from the dining room. Lol


So here is where we are right now.


Since this is the room the kids remember, I decided to keep a lot of the things that they love so much - the stuffed animals, the quilts, things that they have made for me, the Hello Kitty clock, etc., etc. None of it is pleasing to my eye right now and I am going to have to work hard not to dive in and totally re-do this room. I am trying to wait until we move it to another space all together. Then, I can look for my updated bedding, etc. Not making any promises...maybe just some solid color bedding so the quilts won't look so mis-matched? But, if I buy bedding for one bed, I will need to buy for two even if I don't need the second one for awhile as when I do need it, this bedding may no longer be available. See the domino kind of effect I always seem to be caught in? One thing always leads to another for me!!


Oy! This area needs some updating too. Or at least some cleaning out!! One day it is fine and the next day it is NOT! Does anybody else have these things happen to them as well? And what about those brass drawer handles?! They have to go! And soon! And that paint color!!



I had a bit more paint touch up to do on the heavier pool furniture so my brother and Morgan took charge of that as well. Third thing off the list!

While we did fit in these projects, we also found time to do some swimming and had a nice Memorial Day picnic...plus, we watched Bohemian Rhapsody and got in lots of gabbing. It was such a nice weekend.

Somewhere along the way, I also got a new glass sky light in the kitchen and a new sealer coat on the flat roof over the sunroom and garage. A few more things off the list.

This week I've had a day with a friend and we went to see "Poms" - just right for two old ladies - and out for a nice lunch, had my youngest grand daughter here for a day and today am expecting a visit from another 2 other grand daughters. I love all of those visits - planned or unexpected - as they make time go so quickly.

And, I'm starting to think of all things red, white and blue. I went through my posts from last year and I'm ready to make the change. The pile has started - the star that I made, some holiday M&Ms that I happened upon and a runner that my brother and sister-in-law brought as a hostess gift. There seems to be 4th stuff out everywhere now so this pile will definitely grow before the day gets here.


I feel like this post has been nothing but ramblings but that is what always seems to happen this time of year. Not my favorite time so I guess I'm just not real excited about things I'm doing. But, with the 4th coming,things will get better. I hope the next time I post, I will be seeing red, white and blue! Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment