decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, August 7, 2019

It's THAT Time of Year!!

I seem to end up walking in circles this time of year...every year! We are still in the dog days of summer in all ways...on the calendar and with the heat index and rainfall! It is kind of hard to get into anything inside because it is damp and dreary...and outside, it is either sweltering or pouring raindrops! I think that is why this is the time of year that I usually end up picking my Halloween crafts and gifts for the year and getting them made. At least crafting makes me happy.

But, I am having the worst time this year coming up with an idea. I thought I wanted to do painted pillow covers but I am not happy with the first one I made-way too cutesy for me-or even most of the people who receive my Halloween gifts. Then, throw into that mix that most of those same people are now going with a much more neutral decorating scheme so purple, orange, black and green just won't cut it any more. I know I could paint white or turquoise pumpkins but that doesn't say Halloween to me! What to do??

I have perused Pinterest over and over and no new ideas are popping into my head but, I do keep going back to these silhouettes. It kind of takes me back to the days where I cut and sold Scherenschnitte designs...and, when my eyes were so much better!

I looked at a few different designs but I think I might just like the witch the best.

Images from lollyjane.com
Images from TheHolidayBarn.com

Image from Tim Holtz

I think Tim Holtz might actually sell this silhouette but I changed it a bit and am not using it for resale, so I think I am OK.

I'm now debating whether I want to do the witch in black (guess I HAVE made up my mind-haha) and mount her on Halloween paper or perhaps over a copy of "The Raven"? And then, it will be a simple matter of buying the frames and getting her ready to gift.

It is funny how my mind and interests travel and just how happy I can be when I know I have a project that I want to do.

I am also in the midst of planning our back-to-school lunch. We will probably be doing it a bit differently this year. In past years, the kids have come for a day or two before and we crafted, baked and cooked in preparation. This year, our schedules have been too full to do this and, the kids are so old now that there really aren't any back-to-school crafts that would work. And so, we are planning to do a lunch at my house the Sunday (only day they're are all free) after the first week of school. That way table conversation will be certain as they always have lots to share about their teachers, classmates, schedules, etc.

Now that I have two projects ahead of me, I am off the get started. I just looked at last year's blog and realized that I started posting my autumn decor around August 16. That means it will need to go out a bit earlier than that-which is right around the corner! I see another project in my near future as well. Lol Stay tuned.





No comments:

Post a Comment