decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, July 22, 2019

Semi-Reveal

The weekend is over and I spent a good part of it in my office/dormitory moving furniture from one place to another, painting walls, baseboards and door jambs and putting everything back. Today I am going to tackle the two doors and set of closet bi-folds that are in this room. Unfortunately, those doors lead to the guest bath and dining room so that means that the moldings and doors in those rooms will no longer match exactly...so, I see the beginnings of a looonnng summer project. Fortunately, with the temps we've been having, I don't mind indoor projects right now!

In any case, here is a quick look at what happened this weekend. Once I actually got going, I didn't think much about picture taking...but then, every painting project is about the same and I know you have all been there.

My last post was short and sweet because I knew the dining room would very soon look like this!


And then the fun began. I chose a color from the Sherwin Williams white collection called "Pure and Simple". In the store, it was white but leaning towards blush and "greige". I know both of my decorator daughters would insist that I paint swatches in many sections of the room to be viewed at many times of the day. Yep, I know that...but, sometimes, I just want to get going and simply don't have time for that folderol. I will say that that might have proven beneficial in this case because the natural lighting in this room is not good. Once I was completely done and the paint was dry, it read as lavender in certain circumstances. But, in the pictures I am posting, I am seeing more of the light blush I was going for so I am happy.




The color scheme for the room came from this bedding. I really had no idea where I wanted to go-just knew I wanted it a bit lighter and more neutral than the green that had been in there forever...and, inexpensive. Plus, I didn't have it in me to run to every store in Ocala that carries bedding to do price comparing...and, I'm not overly fond of shopping online unless I have seen what I am purchasing in person at a store. I like to feel fabric, check fillings and do all of the things you can't do online-but, I digress. Lol I happened to be in Kohls with a 30% off coupon plus a $15 off coupon as well as a $10 off coupon...and everything was already on sale as well. That kind of savings can definitely influence my choices...and so, that is how I arrived at this Lauren Conrad bedding.



I debated going with all white pillows and shams but, since this room is used by grand kids and dogs alike and many of these pillows will be much "loved" with fingers, paws, food, drink, etc., I decided to add in the taupe. I also think it helps balance the dark wood toned furniture on either side. I actually thought of painting those pieces but the larger one is a Habersham Plantation piece so I was actually a bit reluctant. It still may happen...we shall see.

I am planning on painting the storage baskets white and then adding a wood stained shelf on the wall above the bed. I know the stuffed animals are a bit much but they are a hold over from the kids' younger days and about the only ones I still have left. Not to mention that the kids will still occasionally cuddle with them when they're here...so, they stay watching over us all!


I have had these corbels for awhile and I was just waiting for them to tell me where they wanted to be used. I think they have spoken. That shelf will be another tie between the dark wood and the white and I think it will fill up that large wall perfectly.


I also need to make a valance for the window that you see. The other window is a part of all of the built-ins so it was finished with its own "wooden" valance. I'm thinking of going with just a straight, simple valance out of a textured fabric in white. We'll see what I can find.



And now that the room is this far, I am having serious concerns with the carpet in here. It is an off white berber and has seen one too many spill or stain. It is almost impossible to clean any more so I am starting to think about replacement ideas. I will have to consult my "designer" to see what she thinks but I'm kind of hoping it doesn't need to be carpet again. It will bump into the hardwood from the dining room so I know that is a consideration. We shall see. Hopefully the next time you see this room it will be done! Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment