decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Jumping the Gun

I couldn't help myself! At least I haven't put it out yet but, just knowing that I could makes me so happy!!

I think I posted that my girlfriend and I were looking for something to do and since I had a pile of pillow covers...and since I am so ready to jump the gun and rush the season...we decided to make autumn leaf covers. I ended up using the pattern I had made last year for my leaf door hanger and just cutting it down a bit.



I traced the pattern on to an 18"X18" piece of freezer paper.


Then I cut out the leaf shape and used the rest of the piece as a stencil instead of a pattern.


I ironed the whole thing on to the cover. It still looked a bit too large to me so I just cut it smaller yet.


I then went in and "pulled" some orange paint from the paper on to the fabric.


When I peeled off the freezer paper, I had a nice, crisp outline of the leaf. This was so much easier than tracing the pattern on to the fabric and then having to paint the shape of the leaf. Sometimes when painting on fabric, no matter how careful you try to be, the brush bristles get caught on the texture of the fabric and you just can't get a clean line. This was genius!


All I did then was paint in blocks of orange, yellow, brown and burnt orange. I was having so much fun that I forgot to take a picture but if you look closely, you can kind of see where I started. I then came back and just kind of blended until I was happy and it looked like a leaf almost completely turned. I am actually thinking that I might come back again with a stippling brush and hit it with just a hint of green and more yellow-we shall see.



And just when I thought the smile on my face couldn't get any larger, this was in my mail box..ahhh
Can't happen soon enough for me! Stay tuned.









No comments:

Post a Comment