Happy Wednesday. I was hoping that by today I would be able to share photos of my house with its beautiful new roof. Sadly, that is still not happening...yet. This is day 4. The shingles did finally get delivered yesterday afternoon but not the first one has made its way onto the roof yet-and it is almost noon.
I have a fairly large house-there is about 3200 square feet under cover. Most of it is under a roof that slopes in 4 directions and is shingled but, the sunroom, full office and garage are under a flat roof that is not shingles but has some sort of "rubberized" coating on it. The last time the roof was redone, the flat roof was relatively new so it wasn't included. I guess I forgot that "small" but very IMPORTANT part. And so, when I signed the contract for the new roof with all of its technical mumbo jumbo, I failed to ask if the flat roof was included.
I have now found out that it is...and, apparently that is where the most of the issues lie. It seems as if every square inch of that has to be repaired and all new wood is being added. YIKES!! I am grateful that it is happening because I know that if it hadn't been included in this repair and replacement that I would be facing more issues down the line-probably pretty quickly down the line-but I honestly wasn't expecting it right now.
They have been working on this thing for soooo long. I am ready to finally have it done but, we are getting there.
After they left on Wednesday, I was happy to see some progress with shingles beginning to happen.
I will say that I thought the color I picked out was darker than this but I guess just having such a small sample to look at that I must have misjudged it a bit. I like a dark roof even though I know people say it absorbs heat and, being here in Florida that is probably the last thing I would want. But, lighter roofs seem to get "dirty" looking much faster because of all of the live oak overhang that we have.
In any case, it's too late now so I'm good with this and just happy that it is finally moving along. Hopefully all of the wood repair is done and tomorrow will move a little more quickly.
!!!! We interrupt this blog to give you a distraction from ROOFS! LOL !!!!!
Thanks to the cameras I got for Christmas-which I really wasn't sure if I needed them but boy have I used them since and come to rely on them for so many things-but, I digress-I have been able to watch much of the roof goings on and at this point, I am ready for a change so I looked around and realized that I still hadn't made the ornaments from our girls' trip to Charleston back in the spring and, since I had kind of decided how I would do them back after I first got home, I had everything right here in front of me in my office.
I actually found the perfect items in the City Market when we were there but instead of ornaments, they were magnets and I knew it wouldn't be hard to give them a change up.
I started by prying off the magnet and luckily discovered that if I could wedge the tip of a screwdriver underneath the magnet I could maneuver it off even though it was on there pretty tightly.
I had debated using Christmas colors as backing but I think the general consensus was that since we weren't there at Christmastime, I should just stick with the burgundy, black and white scheme.
I simply made a loop with the thin velvet ribbon and using hot glue-mostly because of the weight and the fact that I was gluing metal- glued it all together. My plan is to come up with the appropriate wording with dates, etc. for the back and then print if on a white oval before I glue it on.
I hung it on this little tree I have out in the sunroom to see how it looks popping against the green and I like it.
Got those done, ate lunch and STILL waiting for the roof to be done...and, four hours later it still isn't!
Happy Fri-YAY-of the longest blog post ever...but, at about 7 this morning the trucks and equipment all pulled in again and I was preparing myself for another long day until...at a little after 9 I heard a knock at my door and was told that the roof is now officially done!!! Woohoo!!!
This was day six and the contractor did confirm to me that it had been a BIG job and that it was definitely time to have it done! I have no regrets and am looking forward to enjoying our next rain with no worries but, until then, I am happily enjoying today-a day I have waited for for over four months. Our temperatures this morning were in the sixties. It will go up a bit as the day goes on but nowhere near what it has been...at least for today. And, on top of that, the lawn guys just left so I have windows open with the wonderful smell of freshly cut lawn and the gentles breezes are wafting in. I am more than excited!
Oy! Every time I see the house from the front I am once again reminded that the hedges are in desperate need of attention. I think they have reached their lifespan and probably just all need to come out but those decades old roots are probably going to be more than I can handle so this chore just keeps slipping down the list! Lol
And, now that the whole roof is done, I am more than happy with my color choice.
I actually just realized that October will arrive next week. Every year I am amazed at how quickly September goes. I think if it felt more like autumn I would appreciate it more but, never-the-less, September will leave us soon and I need to move on. I think I am going to give myself the next three days to do only what I truly want to do to enjoy the last of my autumn decor and then hit the ground running on Monday to get things swapped out for Halloween! That is a BIG one and I'm getting tired just thinking of it so I think I will run and grab some lunch and then start making some lists. There is definitely much to be done but the better temperatures will definitely give me the push I need to do those things.
I'll be back. Until then, stay safe and stay tuned.
No comments:
Post a Comment