Happy Monday! As expected, the roofers have been on the roof since 7:15 this morning and by the sounds of it, they are getting MUCH accomplished. They don't need anything from me so I am free to do whatever I need but, for whatever reason-maybe the constant banging?-lol-I just can't seem to really focus on anything. I've been ironing a few tops that needed a bit of crispness so right there you know that my mind is at odds. LOL I very rarely iron anything any more. And, I have put on a load of wash and now I am at a stand still. And so, I was perusing different sites and I started seeing some beautiful framed Christmas prints coming soon to HL, Target, Walmart, etc. And that got me thinking back to my decor last Christmas. I remembered that I did buy a few prints and, of course, I got my new tree
That new tree kind of started a change in my family room decor because it is pre-lit. That's the first one I have ever had. I am not usually a fan of a pre-lit tree but I will admit that putting lights in a tree is one of my LEAST favorite chores and this tree not only has clear lights but it has colors and twinkles. I just heard so many good things about it that I caved.
It is incredibly EASY to snap together-and it is LIT! And, the twinkle lights are mesmerizing. They are gorgeous. But, this is the room where I always had colored lights. It has always been the "kids'" Christmas room and we all loved it for years. But, the colored lights on this tree have that "blue" LED shine to them and not the nostalgic Christmas colored lights look so I ended up not using them and just leaving on the clear twinkle.
Because everything else in this room still kind of screamed traditional old-fashioned Christmas, I kept the colored lights on the mantle and the large Santa picture hanging above with the mercury glass Santa on the mantle. For whatever reason, it just wasn't "doing" it for me but it was too late to start thinking about changes.
And that is my short story made long that brings me to this. I think I might be ready to get rid of the colored lights altogether this year and go to something a little more simple. That might mean getting rid of the Santas as well which would be a total "if you give a mouse a cookie" adventure because I have collected them for so many years that there would be almost no decor without them. I am at a total loss as to which way I might go.
I looked at a few images on Pinterest that caught my eye-now I just need to figure out why and see where that takes me.
This one still has the Santa but he is a bit smaller and still seems to read a little more subdued to me. There is a LOT more greenery in the garland here so that might be what is catching my eye.
On the other hand, this one that is devoid of all color speaks to me as well but maybe it is too elegant for my family room-not as childlike?
And then there is this. I actually have that exact Santa sign that I bought from Decor Steals a few years back and I have a window frame a bit like this. Perhaps I could go more this way? Then maybe my other Santas could still be interspersed throughout the rest of the room?
I am definitely facing a fork in the road. I know I still have time and I haven't seen what's coming into the stores yet so I guess I will just see what happens. Everyone knows I have a hard time with change. If anyone's a betting person, you will probably bet that it will all be the same again this year! And, you might be right. At least this year I am giving myself time to think about it and also permission to change it up even if all of the grands will not be happy. They seem to love coming back to Nana's and having it exactly as it always was. They all spent so much time here that they definitely consider it their second home...and I love that...and that is why change is so HARD! sigh
Guess I'm off to see what else I can do to take my mind off of the noise over my head. I think all of the prep should be done today and hopefully shingles will appear tomorrow. I'm excited. It's been a long time coming. Until then stay safe and stay tuned.
No comments:
Post a Comment