decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Eureka!!

Today was going to be a simple day-just a quick trip to the grocery store and that was it. But, as often happens around here, one thing after another popped up on my radar and, before I knew it, I was contemplating other stops.

I told you two of my granddaughters are coming for a Halloween crafting weekend so I am beginning to think about the crafts we might want to do. And, that sent me to the Hobby Lobby ad where I realized that some of the supplies that I need are on sale this week. That meant a trip in the opposite direction of where I had planned. And then, I thought about Walmart. We all know how I feel about that store and, since our kids just went back to school and the Walmart closest to my house was still loaded with school supplies, what were the chances that the one further out where I was now heading would be any different? But, the thought wouldn't leave my head and, as much as I didn't want to, I had a gut feeling...and so, off I went. I headed into that Walmart and saw most of the same stuff I saw at "my" Walmart until...I spied the beginnings of an autumn decor area and, right next to that, the much anticipated "My Texas House" Halloween arrivals. I think they had pretty much all of the newest drop and it is all wonderful and, if I didn't already have SO much Halloween decor, I probably would have gotten more but I grabbed the things I really wanted and truly couldn't believe my luck!

This stuff is much sought after and usually sells out soon after it hits the shelves. I think a lot of it is bought by people who keep it until it is sold out in the stores and online and there is still the demand and they can sell it on eBay for an inflated price.

In any case, the main thing I was wanting is the black garland. Many, many years ago I spent a fortune for one from Grandin Road. I loved it so much that I wanted another but they never had them again. It always went over the mirror in the living room like this:


Then when I added the shelf, I moved it over there but still always wished I could get another so the mirror still had one.


And, I always wanted one for the family room mantle as well instead of this:


With that in mind, here is what I came home with today from Walmart.


I bought two of the garlands but now I'm already thinking I might need two for the mantle and will still be one short. I also bought the dripping garland wreath. I have no idea where it is going to go but I think I can see it with the dummy board wreath I made nestled inside of it...maybe?

I also grabbed the gold metal spiderweb bowl in keeping with my new "gold" obsession and two of the small pumpkin cocottes which made me think of my autumn decorating. Normally that would not be until the last week of August but I will be having granddaughter #5 staying with me that week while my daughter and son-in-law head up to S.C. to do a total house install and there is no way I would inflict that total house decor swap chaos on her. And then, that weekend will be our crafting weekend so...it looks like I will be doing the swap out next week. That only leaves me a bit longer to enjoy the sunflowers but I am always ready for autumn!

I am running a bit behind this week as the tree guys ended up taking two days to get everything done, I had a hair appointment, I had a roofer come by for a bit and I'm getting ready for daughter #1 and my grand dog for the weekend. It seems like any time I have workers here, I can never accomplish anything else-especially tree guys because I am glued to the process the whole time. The last time I used a company that had that fancy new machine that did all of the work so no one had to climb up the trees. This time, my neighbor used a different company and I tagged on to that so some poor guy had to go up into those VERY TALL trees. It was too hot to sit outside and watch but I watched a lot from one of the guest room windows and when I saw this fall right here, it got my attention. This is literally just the top of one of my trees. If the whole tree ever decided to topple, it would definitely take out a good bit of that end of the house.


That's all I've got for today. I'm waiting for grandson #2 to come by with his magic impact drill to help me put some more of the fence back together. It looks like the tree guys might have hit the post between the two gates trying to get their backhoe into the back yard and have knocked a good portion of the fence off of the posts so that neither of the gates-the regular one and the one for equipment-any longer close. It's always something but I'm happy he has a few days before he heads to UF and can do this for me. Stay safe and stay tuned.

P.S. I still haven't finished the ornaments either...maybe tomorrow.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment