decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, April 19, 2024

Darn Those "New Eyes"

 I often write about how we get so used to looking at our surroundings that we often fail to see them as others do. This happens to me all of the time. But then, occasionally, I look at something and suddenly I am seeing it with "new eyes"-or, as others who are not looking at it every day may see it. That happened with my spring flag-that also flies for Easter. The Florida sun is strong and I have had to repaint a number of my flags but I didn't realize this one was so bad until someone commented on a craft blog I had posted it on. She didn't comment about how faded it was because she had nothing to compare it to but once I really looked at the picture I knew it was TIME.

I actually enjoy doing these things. I can't ever totally reproduce the original because most of them look like water color and are, of course, printed on. I can't get the same effect with acrylics but, I don't really care. So here's how we started out. It actually doesn't look that bad here but trust me, some of the colors were almost non-existent when it hung in the sun.


I knew I would need to mix paints to get just the right colors so I brought out my pinks, purples and greens. I amazed even myself when I realized just how many purple and greens I have compared to all of my other colors. I guess I am nothing if not consistent.

I started out and then suddenly realized that this was going to be a long project because not only are there a lot of flowers and leaves to paint but also a lot of color variations.

I may never stand straight again as I needed to do this standing up but also bending down closer to the flag. Ouch! But, I got it done and I'm happy.

Here's what it looked like before.

And here's what it looks like now.


 And you may have missed it but the old, stained dowel that the flag hangs on has now gotten a quick coat of stain so it doesn't look as bad either.

I wish I could tell you all of the other things I accomplished today but short of a nice phone call from an old friend, you're pretty much looking at it...and I don't even have all of the mess cleaned up yet. Daughter #2 and her hubby will be here early on Sunday so I am hoping I am back to you with good news about the computer on Monday. Until then, stay safe and stay tuned.





No comments:

Post a Comment