decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, March 15, 2021

When Life Hands You Lemons...

Perhaps I should have titled this "when you do something stupid"...I am not big on too many of the Dollar Tree crafts these days. If I am going to spend my time making a craft and my money (albeit at the Dollar Tree) for supplies, I want it to be for something that will look good and last. But, I also am always looking for things to make to keep me busy and, of late, my eye has been caught by a lot of tinsel bunny head make-overs that are kind of cute. I saw one where the head was wrapped in twine and then put on a candle holder and embellished and I thought I might give it a try. 

Unfortunately, my Dollar Trees were out of the head I needed but I found another and thought I could make it work. I was WRONG. This is what I bought...there were three heads on the hanger thing.

I took one head off and hoped it would work. I knew it was larger but thought I could get away with that. What I couldn't get away with was that it was flat where the other was three dimensional. I kind of knew even at this point that this wouldn't work, but I soldiered on. I took off the tinsel, snipped off the little tabs and covered it in twine-which is NO easy task and results in MANY hot glue burns! As if that shouldn't have been a sign to just throw in the towel. But no, not for me.


At this point I held it up to the candle holder I wanted to use and it was horrible. I tried a thin vase...nope...and a few other things but nothing was speaking to me.

As luck would have it, when the kids and I were cutting the wood for the craft we made on Saturday, I happened upon another piece of wood and decided to go ahead and cut it up for future use while the saw was out. So glad I did because this morning it hit me. How about gluing the head flat on the wood? And so, I painted the edges of the plaque and ModPodged on a piece of paper. I know it isn't the traditional Easter colors but I am not a pink, baby blue or yellow fan so I decided to go this route.

I sanded off the edges, hit it all with the antique gel and then distressed a bit more.


Then, it was just a matter of making a little burlap "collar" and a "messy" bow and hot gluing it all on the wood with some greenery, a little carrot and the tag I made the other day and didn't use. I still can't say it is a favorite but I think I saved it enough that I will be able to find a shelf to prop it on.


As I was moving all of the recent Easter projects around I realized that I have a theme going...can you see it?


It doesn't surprise me that there is so much orange - as it is a favorite color for me even in the spring - but the carrot theme kind of does. But, I did use mostly naturals with brown bunnies and greens in my living room last year and I'm pretty sure that all of this will fit right in with that. We'll see how it looks in just a few days. Until then, stay safe and stay tuned.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment