decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

The much awaited day has finally arrived. In my house, it is usually less celebrated than it is on the previous weekend but, I still adhere to the "wear green" rule and you can be sure my dinner will be matching as well. I'm not a fan of corned beef and cabbage but I will be having spinach ravioli with pesto and a big green salad. And, I will be celebrating with my fur grand, Hazel, while her family is off on spring break.


As I have said, I am chomping at the bit to put up Easter but since that won't happen until tomorrow, I've been staying busy by making some new Easter decor. Yesterday, I tackled a decorated egg.

I used a fill-able egg from Dollar Tree and started by painting it lavender.

I used lavender chalk paint in hopes that it would adhere well to the plastic of the egg. It did OK but it did scratch a bit just in moving it so I gave it a coat of clear acrylic to see if that might help. Then, I coated the whole thing with Elmer's glue and sprinkled on a fine lavender glitter. My hope was that it would remind me of the sugar eggs of days gone by.


After that it was all about the embellishments. I wish I could have found beautiful silk ribbons but I had to go with what I could easily find. I did come upon some pretty paper viola looking flowers and an embroidered lace to use as the edging. 

I was pretty happy with it until I realized that the weight of the embellishments was gluing to the paint and glitter but lifting completely off of the egg itself. It took a bit of patience to re-glue and HOLD everything for a lot longer than usual but, at least for now, it is still all together. I know it is a pastel color but it is the one pastel that I do add in quite a bit at Easter time...I will admit that it is almost impossible to avoid all pastels and still be able to use pretty Easter things...especially vintage! In any case, I'm happy with it and I'm sure it will find a home soon.



And, while I was at it, I had two little pieces of wood that were carrot shaped that came from the scrap pieces of cutting the actual carrots. I decided to just paint them up and use my trusty Dremel to drill into the wood (I love my Dremel for small drilling jobs-so much easier to control than my big, heavy drill) and put in some greenery. And then, because I didn't like the look of the bottom of the plastic greenery, I added the same black and white ribbon that I used on the rabbit head. I'm thinking these three will probably end up together somewhere tomorrow.



They're kind of cute for being wood that would have just been tossed.



And, spring has sprung. I can not tell you how happy I am that I was able to protect my bougainvillea from this year's couple of freezing temps. I have worked too hard to lose them now. I will say that only one is blooming. We're guessing maybe the one in the corner doesn't get enough sun but, I am the eternal optimist. I check it out carefully every time I'm out there and I just know one day it too will reward me with some beautiful blooms. This is exactly what I envisioned when I got my brother and sister-in-law to help us build this trellis about four years ago.


I'm off to enjoy the rest of the day and then tomorrow I hope to start getting my Easter on. Stay safe and stay tuned.


 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment