decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Friday, January 15, 2021

Not So Epic

I think I ended my last post saying that something I was trying was looking like it might turn out to be an epic fail...but, now I am not so sure.

It seems that everyone out in craft land is making envelopes full of hearts for Valentines decor. I had actually made one out of fabric many years ago and the ones going around looked very similar. I had toyed with that being an idea to do with my grand kids but thought maybe we could use felt. And then, I saw "The Silver Farmhouse" showing some that she had made using regular envelopes and spray painting them...which appeared to give them much more substance and they could be molded to end up a bit open for the hearts...or, shamrocks...or whatever you want.

I thought that might be a good option so, before she actually posted her tutorial video, I tried it and my envelopes turned out to be....just painted envelopes with no more substance than they had before they were painted. I thought maybe I did something wrong and had an epic fail.

And then, she posted her video and I watched and as she did each step, I realized that I had done it exactly as she did and her envelopes were as floppy as mine. I guess she was OK with it-I was not. And so, i pushed that idea aside.

Then, the next morning I received an email from Michaels with the pattern for a fabric envelope and I downloaded it to see what it was all about. I enlarged it as big as I could to still fit on a sheet of card stock, traced one, cut it out and glued it together. And, in no time I had the sturdy envelope I wanted with the exact shape I wanted.



I did paint the light brown one a bit darker but it didn't really affect the feel that much. Then, it was just a matter of making the shamrocks and hearts that I would use to fill them.

I think this might be a good project for the kids because each can embellish as he/she wants. I did mine fairly basically but then went back and added some distressing, glitter, etc. They turned out cute and I do like projects where each of the crafter's personalities can come out. I painted mine and decoupaged on patterned paper but they could also use napkins, fabric or anything their hearts desired.




This is where my envelopes of hearts ended up...on the typewriter by the front door.

I added a hanger to the shamrock envelope because I think I will hang this on the cutting board for St. Pat's Day.


 So this is where I am right now, They aren't necessarily my favorite, but, it's a start. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find anything I like better. Until then, stay safe and stay tuned.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment