decorating with dodi

Follow on Bloglovin

Monday, January 11, 2021

Brings Back Memories...

This picture definitely takes me back...way back. When I was a child, I would make some of my special Valentines. Then, when I had my three girls and then all of my grand children, this sight would be repeated over and over through the years. We would drag out anything that even slightly "spoke" Valentines and go to town creating our master pieces. There was almost always heart shaped doilies involved...and lots of red, pink and white colored paper! And oh, the creativity that was shown!

And so today, when I just wanted a few bits of the holiday to finish up a few tweaks that I made last night, I did what I used to do many, many times...I pulled anything that said Valentine and went to town. I am pretty sure that I have shared that before that Valentine's Day isn't my favorite day for decor. I am not crazy about red and pink nor am I a fan of hearts but, it is kind of hard to do the day justice without some of each. 

It is also actually hard for me to find things I even want to try out of all of the thousands of ideas floating around on all of the crafting blogs right now. After MUCH "research", I decided on a few things that would give me a bit of Valentine color...and, things that I could do with what I had on hand and easily!

I saw a lady named Lisa make these Valentine "pops" on her site, "The Silver Farmhouse". They are a bit country for me but, when I decided I wanted to add a bit of the romantic feel of silver to the dining room, I needed just a pop of some color to add to the greenery in the silver bowl.

She used corrugated cardboard from a box and pulled off the top layer to give the look of corrugated tin so I did the same on a few. I cut out hearts and painted some and decoupaged Valentine paper to the others.


Then, I glued on some embellishments and hit them with some glitter. 


Lastly, I glued on some twigs from out in the yard so I could stick them into the greenery.



I also had a spot in the kitchen that needed a pop. I had hung a green wreath on the cutting board for Christmas and I liked it. Now the area was looking a bit bare so I decided to make a simple heart wreath. 

I twisted some wire into a heart shape and covered it with white floral tape. Then I glued some patterned paper back-to-back and traced and cut out hearts.


Then, it was a simple matter of over lapping and hot gluing the hearts on to the wire. I added a ribbon hanger and a rosette that I had but I'm really not the biggest fan of either so, if I get to HL, I might try to find some cream ribbon and a different embellishment. Until then, they serve the purpose.




So that was my day. I actually spent more time waiting for glue to dry along the way than I actually did in crafting but, it was fun just to be busy and add some new things to the mix. I'm not done yet looking for new ideas. Hopefully I will find something I can do with the kids if we get to have our Valentine weekend this year...fingers crossed! Stay safe and stay tuned.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment